Do Shoutouts actually help smaller channels become known?

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
What is your opinion on "shout outs", do they actually help smaller channels become known? Can it actually hurt a channel Or is it as bad as sub 4 sub.

I recently started a Shout out channel Review on my channel and was wondering haven gone through some argument online on whether Shotout works or not.

What do you think? What's your opinion on that.

I suppose its a matter of scale and what purpose the shoutouts for really...if a channel with 500k subs shoutouts a channel with 200 subs just for the shiggles then that channel is going to get a boost from a mixture of people who are genuinely interested in the content and people who are doing it because there favorite youtuber told them too...so in that regard it wouldnt be quite as bad as sub4sub but it would certainly give you more than a handful of zombie subs which isnt really very good...that being said if the person doing the shoutout makes it clear what the channel there shouting out does and why he/she thinks it deserves some love then I imagine it could probably deter some of the zombie subs...believe me i'd welcome a bit of love but i'd feel quite upset if I picked up 300 subs from a shoutout and 250 were zombies who'd never actually watch my stuff...

It depends on scale, I think. If a really big or really well-regarded channel does a shoutout in an organic way (as in, "I really loved this video/love this channel/love this creator and I thought you'd like it too") then I think a smaller channel can get a lot of notice. If it's a generic shoutout series? Not so much. That's just sub4sub on a large-scale basis, I think. I've known channels that grew fast by doing a shoutout series, but they wind up with a ton of inactive subs and got hounded endlessly by people who wanted to participate and didn't get a shoutout quickly enough to suit them.

If it's a generic shoutout series? Not so much. That's just sub4sub on a large-scale basis

I agree with you but what I did was to detaily review any channel based on some rules

• I will review your channel if you go to the previous reviewed channel and leave a comment
  • After leaving the comment paste the title of the video you made the comment on.
  • Finally a reason why I should review your channel.
That's it, I think this restricts a flood of just shout out seekers.

I think. I've known channels that grew fast by doing a shoutout series, but they wind up with a ton of inactive subs and got hounded endlessly by people who wanted to participate and didn't get a shoutout quickly enough to suit them.

Ho! one of the rules also was no subscribing because of a shout out just those 3 steps above. So I guess I am safe from inactive subs at least not from those watching the reviews.

I use the reviews as tutorials too because when making the reviews I re-fare to tutorials that will help the channel owner or anyone who wants to learn a thing or two about it.

I've never done shoutouts or been featured in any (that I know of) but I have collaborated with people a number of times and those occasions have most definitely always worked in my favour!

I think it does work as long as your channel is somehow related to the one shouting you out.

how do you even find people to shout you out tho?

You can get a subscriber boost sure, but in the end it's the content that gets people to subscribe. And if the content isn't all that you'll end up shy of 5K subscribers after being at if for 3+ years.

No. They don't. I've done big collars and been mentioned on big channels it does not move the needle beyond a few views. I don't know where people even get the idea being mentioned on a big channel will drive other people there. Didn't happen for me

Shoutouts help, but most of the time people won't redirect to channel links that they gave shoutouts to. It is helpful but doesn't work all the time. You need to collab many times to get noticed and grab people's attention.

It worked for me. I got a shoutout from another cooking channel that at the time had 15k subscribers. I gained a few hundred new subscribers and some really loyal, and lovely fans. I think it really helps if it's the same topic as you and how the shoutout is presented of course.

Back