Do Shoutouts actually help smaller channels become known?

menix

3 Drunk men entering a taxi....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Shoutout can help by a lot for a smaller channels and they can none.
Its depends of few things:
1) Is the shoutout channel has lots of viewers that can check out the shoutouted channel.
2) If the shoutouted channel has some great contact.

Smaller channels are makes more private attentions then the big ones, which viewers want, they want to feel, (so am I), that the youtubers are listening to them.

JayPlaysOfficial

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
They help get the subscriber count up which is good, the views start building up for a while but after that, a lot of the subs start to drop off because they might have subbed just to show support and not watch your videos sooo...

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Depends on the quality of the shoutout, how relevant the shouted out channel is to the one that did the shouting out and how many active/loyal subscribers they have who will actually take their word for it. If you have a close relationship with your subscribers they may take the shoutout more seriously but you also put your reputation on the line a bit. Shouting out as a reward for something isn't as powerful as shouting out for great content that is similar to what you create.

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Like most people have said... it depends. If the youtuber giving you a shout out is popular & has a substantial amount of subs then you'll get an advantage. For smaller channels i think collaborations where each channel does something for or with each other is more beneficial than just telling people their name & to go sub.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Shout outs can definitely help, but it really depends if the subscribers actually go to your channel to check out your content. If they do go to your channel they might subscribe just because their favorite YouTuber told them too and they might not watch your videos, if they subscribed because they want to watch to your content than that is great. I personally think you should take the shoutout if someone offers to shout you out!

Gimle

Reaction score
I think if its organic it can really work. My last channel got 120 or so subscribers simply from having one pinned comment on a well known channel - but I think it can get a little tedious if its done all the time in every video.

I don't think there's much of a point in trying to do it for other people until you at least have a few hundred subs yourself or else it just looks like you're sucking up. Just my two-cents.

Reactions: Boris Qs

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think if its organic it can really work. My last channel got 120 or so subscribers simply from having one pinned comment on a well known channel - but I think it can get a little tedious if its done all the time in every video.
I like that tip

I don't think there's much of a point in trying to do it for other people until you at least have a few hundred subs yourself or else it just looks like you're sucking up. Just my two-cents.
Is a channel with over 700 subs in your opinion, ok to do a channel review?

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think they do. Every time Casey Neistat shouts out an unknown YouTube channel, you can see that one video does well, then the rest pretty much go back to normal.

My point is you have to win your viewers support with every video you make, not just rely on someone to give you a hand up.