we've been going through the same thing for the better part of a week now. It's been back and forth with youtube for us. I can't say that our network was that much of a help with it.

Before we started seeing the yellow monetization icons about a week ago, we had been losing ad revenue since approx. April with no way of appealing. We had some pretty low revenue streams on some videos.

While I do understand the need for some moderation, This feels like an overly conservative push IMO. I will say, though, that Youtube has been really good at helping us get things sorted out. I just wish the system would be less "glitchy" (can't think of a better term right now). We have been having all sorts of things flagged, too, that make no sense.

I really hope this is worked out before the Christmas season. I do have a feeling that these current changes are a push to have it worked out by then (fingers crossed).

Sorry you're going through this too. My wife said the same thing that she suspects it's an attempt to get things sorted out before the big Christmas advertising push.

We're starting to see some that say "confirmed by manual review" where it makes absolutely no sense, like on a "floor is lava" challenge! How could that possibly not be advertiser friendly?

That's just nuts... You are a kid channel... Not to say kid channels can't be an absolute disease (you know which one I am on about I am sure) you are not unsafe at all. I hope you can get it resolved soon!

Sorry you're going through this too. My wife said the same thing that she suspects it's an attempt to get things sorted out before the big Christmas advertising push.

We're starting to see some that say "confirmed by manual review" where it makes absolutely no sense, like on a "floor is lava" challenge! How could that possibly not be advertiser friendly?
We had two that were confirmed, and I had to rewatch to figure out what could be the trigger point that made them so different than the others. I'm not 100% sure still, but I think it was something very similar that was said in both videos. Now, neither one is something that I would say is too over the top, but it's the only thing i can think of that would be the reason (we happened to mention Die or Kill in these two clown videos). That's the only difference I can make out from the others.

What I’ve found with is is that your videos were probably marked that way back in March or April and until this new appeal system came out, they never told you. We had over 800 of our videos hit with the not suitable for all advertisers mark but it didn’t affect our income at al. I would still continue to appeal but it’s doubtful if it will affect your bottom line as your videos have probably been that way for six months.

As soon as my videos get a single view, BAM, not suitable for advertisers and I have to request a review. Then by the time they remove it, noone else is watching that video anymore.
Sometimes they slap that on my video seconds after it's been uploaded.

We were hit last night as well. About 6 videos got the yellow $ icon. One was a birthday party (again for the second time), there were also the floor is lava and the learn colors with tape, and a toy hunt. I make it a point now to go into the videos tab and run through each screen manually every night in case they sneak a yellow $ in there somewhere. Like a thief in the night, you can not trust Yt anymore....

The thing is, most of our videos that are yellow $ for weeks or months still make income. Perhaps not as much as before, but still some. It seems they are flagged as not suitable based on whatever the criteria flagging them is. Some advertisers may not care about that criteria so those ads run. Most of ours that are flagged for a while have the 'pregnant' or 'give birth' tags. So that makes sense as some advertisers may not want to be associated with those topics, and some don't care. But once again it's not a blanket application, there are videos with the same topic and tags, one is flagged, the other is not. It's a fairly ad hoc implementation of whatever they are trying to implement. I heard someone say the Yt AI is equivalent to a 4 year old child, I think it's a 4 year old on an afternoon sugar rush at the playground.

The other thing is I have seen this "mass demonetization" you mention on a monthly basis. The last time was yesterday. Prior to that it seem to be every month for us. That's when a few to a few dozen videos get hit. We had what you describe (a mass casualty event of 100 videos) twice, once about a month after the adpocalypse started, then a month later. Those two mass demonetization events are when we lost most of the current top videos we have partially demonetized (the pregnant ones). I expect they will cycle through every channel at some point, since you are established and large, you could have been later in the lineup. The top 10 channels may get hit soon with their mass events, if they have not yet been, so the like of FFP, etc, may yet to experience this. it makes sense Yt started with small channels first, less to lose, then as they tune the demonetization algo, they hit bigger channels.

To finish off, the common thread I have noticed is to stay clear of all even mildly controversial spoken words, images, metadata. So no tie-up, kill, choke, chase, scare, poop, vomit, and the like.[DOUBLEPOST=1506574195,1506573828][/DOUBLEPOST]
I will say, though, that Youtube has been really good at helping us get things sorted out.

Can you elaborate who or which team in Yt you contact. Is it the creator support dedicated email? Is it via chat? Is it your Yt channel consultant? In my experience so far, all three of those have been either non-responsive or evasive. They were very nice before the adpocalypse hit, then the relationships all went sour overnight.

It has happened to me that I have uploaded a video, and it got immediately flagged as not suitable, which is b******t.
It has also happened that one video got flagged, I filed a review and got the monetisation back, and it got flagged again!

I had the same about a week ago over all channels. Around 10% at random. I have some vids with 'clickbait' thumbnails that were left alone (That could/should be pulled) and some really tame vids that were pulled?? No sense whatsoever and most of the videos where very old (Up to 4 years old). I changed the thumbnails and half of them flipped back to Green. The others I asked for manual checking but I have had no update as yet and dont think I ever will. Although some of the vids have over 100k views they are receiving less than 1k views a week now.

I scheduled a few new videos the same day (was for up to 2 weeks time) and one turned Yellow? What was confusing is the one that turned Yellow was the most tame subject/thumbnail etc of the lot I uploaded!? I asked for manual review (bearing in mind it was not even published yet) and it was shortly set to green. It must have been manually viewed as it showed a view on the analytics.

I really sympathise. My feeling on this, working in computing for over 20 years, is that we are applying logic and sensibilities of humans to machines and programs.

It would be like arguing with your Roomba when it keeps missing a spot.

Seems to me like there is a program that has its sights set on anything that meets its parameters. The speed of what you describe tells me that.

Then when a human looks at it through appeal, good sense comes in.

All of the above might be obvious or you might already know it. I think YouTube is working out the kinks in a hastily-put together solution that is very flawed right now.

Let's hope things improve for all of our sakes, but especially the bigger channels like yours who really shouldn't have to fear the "ban hammer". :)

Back