Common issues that keep you under 1,000 subscribers

And if somebody searches for omegle videos he probably doesn't want to see girls smiling :)
Why not? There a looot of Omegle videos: pranks, reactions, conversations etc.

I stand my ground.
Than have a seat please ;d

If you try to rank for omegle you will likely rank low
I think we have a little misunderstanding. I'm not ranking for "Omegle" (I've never said I do, my first post in this thread actually says: "if I want to rank my video for "girls on omegle" keywords.") because the competition is just very high and makes it pointless. I'm ranking for "girls on omegle", "omegle girls" etc. That's why I'm not exactly sure why you say "making girls smile" is a better keyword then "girls on omegle". Could you explain it in a little more details?

One more question: Do you believe it's a good idea to change my title, description and tags right now? Or should I leave it the way it is and try what you just said on new and fresh video?

Why not? There a looot of Omegle videos: pranks, reactions, conversations etc.
I just wanted to point out that your argument also works the other way round and thus is no argument. And as you mentioned instead of wanting to see somebody who makes girls smile he may want to see pranks, reactions or conversations instead.

I'm ranking for "girls on omegle", "omegle girls" etc. That's why I'm not exactly sure why you say "making girls smile" is a better keyword then "girls on omegle". Could you explain it in a little more details?
My understanding was that you don't manage to rank for these keywords and thus need some with less competition.

Do you believe it's a good idea to change my title, description and tags right now?
I would create a test case. Two similar videos published on the same channel, same day of the week, similar date, promoted in the same communities but different titles and description. Afterward I would check which one has higher views and which one the higher audience retention.

I just wanted to point out that your argument also works the other way round and thus is no argument. And as you mentioned instead of wanting to see somebody who makes girls smile he may want to see pranks, reactions or conversations instead.
Ok now I get it! So "making girls smile" and "omegle" can be 2 different topics and the first one is probably way more specific so it should also work better as a keywords.

I would create a test case. Two similar videos published on the same channel, same day of the week, similar date, promoted in the same communities but different titles and description. Afterward I would check which one has higher views and which one the higher audience retention.
That's a great idea! Thanks :)

I've never seen anything like this. Could you give us a little bit more info? Maybe the name of this channel? Maybe a case study? It would be awesome because this results are super extraordinary and probably a great source to learn from.
He actually keeps his channel a secret -- he doesn't want to be identified as the person behind it, which I can respect, so no, I can't tell you his channel name. For you, I'd just focus on getting massive views in search and related videos. That's how you make money, not from subscribers who are less likely to watch or click on ads.

These 2 questions are very hard for me. How can I answer them as a comedian?
- "Who specifically is this content for?" - well comedy seem to be pretty universal interest but I know "Everybody" isn't helpful answer.
- "Why should that person care?" - because my channel can make him / her smile / laugh / feel good?
Just keep digging with those questions. It often takes a long time to really figure it out. Not everyone finds certain content funny. Humor is not universal. Larry the Cable Guy has a different audience than Jerry Seinfeld. And why should they care? Again, keep digging. Why do people want to laugh?

For example, "My comedy is for middle school boys who are bullied at school, have no parents at home who give them positive attention, and are looking for a smile that makes them feel like they're valuable."

My approach to titles is to basically to focus on keywords.
Instead, focus on people. Your audience is not search robots -- it's people. Write enticing titles that pitch the value of the video in a way. Don't just merely say, "Funny video," or, "The funniest thing that happened to me," but, "Three reasons why you're more awesome than One Direction," (that title is about them, not you) and make the videos funny. Don't tell people, "You should subscribe because I'm funny." Humor is too subjective. Brand your channel about something deeper than that and surprise people with humor.

For you, I'd just focus on getting massive views in search and related videos. That's how you make money, not from subscribers who are less likely to watch or click on ads.
I have 2 questions here:

1. Search results - it seems that I know all the basics about how to rank videos. I pick a certain keywords and use it in title, description and tags, but I get no results. My videos never appear on the first page of search results. I tried with more specific keywords and with more overall but still nothing. Any clue on what I might be missing or doing wrong? My channel is very small (125 subs and 18 000 views overall) so maybe it's just not possible to rank well for such a small channel?

2. Related videos - thank to you I know how to appear in related videos when some one is already watching one of my videos. But as far as I know my videos doesn't appear as related when someone is watching other videos. Is there any way to fix it / influence it?

Thank you for answering my questions. Your tips are very helpful. Tim you are the best! :)

I have 2 questions here:

1. Search results - it seems that I know all the basics about how to rank videos. I pick a certain keywords and use it in title, description and tags, but I get no results. My videos never appear on the first page of search results. I tried with more specific keywords and with more overall but still nothing. Any clue on what I might be missing or doing wrong? My channel is very small (125 subs and 18 000 views overall) so maybe it's just not possible to rank well for such a small channel?

2. Related videos - thank to you I know how to appear in related videos when some one is already watching one of my videos. But as far as I know my videos doesn't appear as related when someone is watching other videos. Is there any way to fix it / influence it?

Thank you for answering my questions. Your tips are very helpful. Tim you are the best! :)
Oh man, both of these go far outside the scope of a forum post, but to boil it all down:

1. Search results are based on watch time and viewer signals. Metadata only plays a role in ranking after the video is initially published. After that, Google looks at other data points to know how to rank your video. It really comes down to how well your video is designed to hook and keep viewers. The more watch time your video accumulates the more likely it is to rank. Make good videos that do that. (Deep, I know.)

2. Videos appear as related when there's a decent click through rate between one video to another. The more your related video contributes to extending someone's overall viewing session on YouTube after they watch the original video, the more likely your video is to be a related video. So you can't make the SAME video as the one you want to be related to because no one has a reason to click and watch that. Instead, you have to make videos that are RELATED to it. For example, they they're watching a video about, "How to unclog a drain," and the video uses a snake to do so, then you make the video, "How to unclog your drain without a snake," because that's related for many people who need to solve the problem but don't have that piece of equipment.

I think one of my fall backs is branding.
I don't know how to make a branding video or logo. Am I supposed to pay someone to do it for me? :(
It stresses me out. Lol

1. Search results are based on watch time and viewer signals. Metadata only plays a role in ranking after the video is initially published. After that, Google looks at other data points to know how to rank your video. It really comes down to how well your video is designed to hook and keep viewers. The more watch time your video accumulates the more likely it is to rank. Make good videos that do that. (Deep, I know.)
Do you have any videos, books, products that goes deep with this topic?

2. Videos appear as related when there's a decent click through rate between one video to another. The more your related video contributes to extending someone's overall viewing session on YouTube after they watch the original video, the more likely your video is to be a related video. So you can't make the SAME video as the one you want to be related to because no one has a reason to click and watch that. Instead, you have to make videos that are RELATED to it.
I didn't know that! Tim, again thank you so much for help!!! :)

Do you have any videos, books, products that goes deep with this topic?
Yeah, but it has nothing to do with SEO. Think of SEO not about "search engine optimization" but "people optimization." The better you play that game the better your videos will perform in search.

That's why the best video I know about this is probably, "Primal Branding," by Patrick Hanlon. It's required reading for any creator I work with long-term, actually. One of the first things we do is work through that book together.

Yeah, but it has nothing to do with SEO. Think of SEO not about "search engine optimization" but "people optimization." The better you play that game the better your videos will perform in search.

That's why the best video I know about this is probably, "Primal Branding," by Patrick Hanlon. It's required reading for any creator I work with long-term, actually. One of the first things we do is work through that book together.
Thanks. I'm already looking for it :)

Back