Chances of getting sued and precautions?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Hey guys! So I run a fitness and health channel, and a few weeks ago I mentioned it to someone and they told me to be careful that I don't get sued. Got me wondering, how common is it to get sued for any reason as a youtuber?

I always post disclaimers in my videos like "this is not intended to replace any sort of doctor, consult a doctor before using my exercise programs" etc.. but what other precautions should I be taking (if any)? And what are reasons one might get into any legal problems?

No one will sue you. Just put a disclaimer. Unless you reach a million views it won't make a dent in YouTube anyway and I'm sure there are much worst videos out there anyway

Do the typical disclaimer, making false promises about a product or promoting a product without saying it was a paid thing is where your main risks lay when it comes to health products.

Keep using your standard disclaimers. When you reach 100k+ subscribers is when you should start worrying about being sued for stupid stuff by stupid people so at that point you should check with an attorney and use your earnings to pay for it.

Last edited:
Do your homework. Research if your exercises are good and for whom they are good. But more importantly research if they are bad and for whom they are bad.

use words such as "in my opinion" if it is not hate/racist opinion no one can ever sue you.
100% incorrect.
In the United States you can be sued by anyone, for [virtually] anything. Using words such as "in my opinion" greatly increases your chances of prevailing in such a lawsuit, but unfortunately even if you win, you loose, because you still have to pay all of legal fees.
SOURCE: This is common knowledge but a quick Google search on "can you sue anyone for anything" will confirm this (apparently we can't post links in this section).

extremely low. very few laws can be broken in reality - legal malpractice or negligence, i guess? neither of those will go anywhere in court without direct discussion to the person (as in, i believe you should do this rather than that). people fake being doctors and lawyers online all the time with no legal repercussions because they "educate" rather than "advise".

extremely low. very few laws can be broken in reality

You don't need to break any laws to be sued.
@Merlina Rodas, I urge you to be very careful of who you take your legal advice from. You should even be wary of MY advice because I am not a lawyer.
Just sayin - most of the kids here are just guessing/hoping/making sh!t up as they go along, which is normal for any online forum.

Back