Camera used by Hodgetwins or Danisnotonfire?

This 5D MK III camera...it's really expensive though! But if you have the audience you might just as well get something professional.

I was thinking about the T3i and had no idea an even newer model was released. Both of you have good quality videos though.

IftiBashir, you mentioned lighting. How much control do you have with your camera over the lighting? Because setting up a good lighting set up is not alway possible.

I thought going for a professional camera would give me more control. It is quite important for me to be able to brighten up the screen and also defocus the background.

This 5D MK III camera...it's really expensive though! But if you have the audience you might just as well get something professional.

I was thinking about the T3i and had no idea an even newer model was released. Both of you have good quality videos though.

IftiBashir, you mentioned lighting. How much control do you have with your camera over the lighting? Because setting up a good lighting set up is not alway possible.

I thought going for a professional camera would give me more control. It is quite important for me to be able to brighten up the screen and also defocus the background.

You have a lot of control. You have your ISO, which allows you to take in more light, but the higher it is, the more 'noisy' it gets. You have complete control over your ISO, Shutter Speed & Aperture. If you are looking into buying a DSLR, make sure you study those three things I just mentioned because they effect the quality of your video by A LOT.

Also, Lenses allow you to do more. Some lenses only allow a small amount of light in (higher F-Stop) and some will allow a ridiculous amount of light in. The higher the F-Stop on your camera, the less of light that comes in, and the more you lower it, the more it takes in. Like me, I have a kit lens (18-55mm F/3.5) which is middle range. It's a kit lens, so don't expect the greatest quality, but I also have a Portrait lens (Prime Lens), the 50mm F/1.8. You can get an absurd amount of light with that lens because of how open the eye can get to absorb more light.

Hopefully that made sense XD

Rule number 1. DONT GET A NIKON! None of the lowerish models have manual video control.

That leaves you with the canon txi series and the 5d series. The 5dmkiii is a great camera BUT to get decent footage you are going to soend at least another 1000 bucks on lenses, tripods, memory etc. If you have money, get it but dont spend your whole wad on the camera.

So then you have the t2i and t3i. The t4i is a waste of money (hundred bucks more). T3i is better and only a few bucks more. Buy the body inly off of bhphotoandvideo.com for 580. Then get some quality lenses (50mm f1.8, 16-35mm and maybe a zoom lense). Also spend at least 100 bucks on a quality video tripod. Throw in an extra battery and a memory card aaaand youre golden NOT!
One thing people often overlook is audio. Good video is often ruined by poor audio. I say get the rode video mic (150). Its an industry standardish and good if you film alone.
Last thing you will want is a softbox light set if you are filming indoors and stationary. There are tons of other things you might want or need, the camera ismonly the beginning. Do your research. If someone else tells you exactly what to get you wont know the first thing about using it

A professional camera is going to give you a ton more control as you can tweak every setting you like!
I gotta be honest though, I dont understand most of it - Im not camera expert or anything! I tend to leave mine in auto mode and the camera usually does a very good job. I also have a cheap external videographer light from Amazon that I mount on top of the camera (it doesnt connect tothe camera or be controlled by the camera in any way, just sits in the hotshoe attachment) since I tend to recordmost of my video in the evening when the kids have gone to bed and its quieter!

Last thing you will want is a softbox light set if you are filming indoors and stationary. There are tons of other things you might want or need, the camera ismonly the beginning. Do your research. If someone else tells you exactly what to get you wont know the first thing about using it

I'm buying a lighting set next week. It isn't a softbox (Because I don't want to spend $150 on one softbox when I can get three white umbrellas for around the same price or cheaper), but it's an umbrella set and it only....$59.99.

Back