Big toy channels may be suffering with lower views.

we are just a flea on a dog

We are all insignificant specks of dust in the vast universe, here for an instant of cosmic time...[DOUBLEPOST=1507154322,1507154261][/DOUBLEPOST]
Reading everyone's posts in this thread, it sounds like maybe an algorithm change rather than just the genre being saturated. It just seems unusual that a whole genre seems to have been hit, including even some of the very big channels.

If true, go figure, why would Yt hit one of its most lucrative verticals? Unless Alphabet is so cashed up it doesn't care, but that's not very Wall Streetish...

Reading everyone's posts in this thread, it sounds like maybe an algorithm change rather than just the genre being saturated. It just seems unusual that a whole genre seems to have been hit, including even some of the very big channels.

Crown you make a really good point. Sounds like economics if a market is saturated the need and the value of a product go down. Same thing happens with these channels/views people don't need the product as much as they needed before and so the value of watching goes down. This happens all the time i guess. At a certain point the top is reached.

If true, go figure, why would Yt hit one of its most lucrative genres?

Any video that is monetized and viewed makes money for Youtube. It makes no difference to YouTube which genre the video is from. In terms of how many monetized views there are on YouTube for a given period of time (and therefore money earned for the site as a whole), it's a zero-sum game and is determined by the number of YouTube users online at a given time. If there are fewer videos from genre X in the sidebar, they'd be replaced by other videos from genre Y and people would click on them and watch them. The total number of views across YouTube on a given day would be the same. So in terms of money, it'd make little difference to the bottom line.

Coming back to the question of why would YouTube tinker with the algorithm to slow down the kids toys channels a bit. - Well Google has always been about long-term growth and always put user experience first. That's how their search engine blew Yahoo out of the water back in the day. Maybe, they've had complaints / feedback that there are too many kids videos all over Youtube? Maybe they have identified something in the algorithm that was allowing that to happen too easily? I'm thinking of all those annoying spiderman costume videos recently comeing out of Eastern Europe. There is something definitely in the algorithm that is/was being exploited by certain creators. Maybe YT has access to data that shows that the kids genre is taking up more space than they (YouTube) want. All speculation of course. :)

We've only occasionally had a big hit with toys, it's always been a tough nut to crack for us. We have seen large declines on both toys and candy in the past 18 months with hits becoming rarer.

Our creepy content has been doing well, as well as anything trendy, but nothing is really sure-fire anymore.

A number of factors play into it. US summer is over. Natural disasters that potentially cut off whole states.

Also video topic saturation. How many places can you really tape your kids? And how many places can be flooded with lava? And how many kinder surprise eggs can you crack open? Thousands, hundreds of thousands, then it gets boring...

The revenue drops with the adpocalypse - one way to counter the effects is to make more videos. When the price drops, to make previous revenue levels, you have to dump more products at lower price into the market. Economic 101. If before 1M views made $1000, and now it makes $300 (taking into effect 10-30% of inventory doesn't run ads due to non advertiser friendly), to make that shortfall I have to release much more videos. The result is market saturation as everyone release more videos to make up for falling revenue.

Plus, the more exposure in mainstream media there is of "millionaire Ytbers" and the "Ytuber lifestyle" the more entrants there are. Just the other day there was a survey of what's the top job that kids in Australia want - the answer is to be a Ytuber.

Since kids at at our kids school are becoming aware we have a channel, many of her friends have opened channels. By rough estimates, about 20 new channels have been opened this year in kids toys as a result of what other kids see us do. Most in the 2nd grade my daughter is in, and some in prep for the younger one. Now take 1,000,000 kids toys youtube channels around the planet, and 10-30 of their friends open channels too, that's 10 - 30,000,000 new channels opened. Utter saturation. Sure, 99% of them will fail, but still.

So, views are down for many on recent videos, us included. But views are way way up for some, those who I call the A-list. They're the Steven Spielberg of video production. The B-listers (I consider about 100k-900k subs) are managing but concerned. A strong inventory cushions the blow. But that will not last forever. The C-list (below 100k), I see many struggling. We have 1 channel in that range, not very good. The D-list (under 1k), I would say forget it almost. We have 1 channel there, it's impossible without traffic redirection. Going is hard. It's only going to get harder.

Peace out :unsure:
Yeah ours is at 1.4k subs and our channrl is going bye bye

Overall my views have been flat since august. Ive noticed a decrease in view velocity in first 24 hours of upload. Used to be higher on average.

I thought views are flat cuz of school though. If the algorithm is analyzing our channel for growth patterns then it should have noticed the decrease on views overall because kids are at school. And then hand out our punishments because our 30 day avg went down. I could be wrong though. Im trying to just bring my 30 day up again for the next time yt runs its growth check on my channel.

Last edited:
Overall my views have been flat since august. Ive noticed a decrease in view velocity in first 24 hours of upload. Used to be higher on average. Youtube likes to toss my videos to the ground disintegrating all those hours of craft into digital bits of nothingness. If you take a close look at your realtime stats, you’ll notice the curve flatline into a coma with the occasional little bump. Zoom in on those bumps and they are actually squiggly lines that read “meh. make another. all your time are belong to us”

I thought views are flat cuz of school though. If the algorithm is analyzing our channel for growth patterns then it should have noticed the decrease on views overall because kids are at school. And then hand out our punishments because our 30 day avg went down. I could be wrong though. Im trying to just bring my 30 day up again for the next time yt runs its growth check on my channel.

What do you mean by growth check?

Overall my views have been flat since august. Ive noticed a decrease in view velocity in first 24 hours of upload. Used to be higher on average. Youtube likes to toss my videos to the ground disintegrating all those hours of craft into digital bits of nothingness. If you take a close look at your realtime stats, you’ll notice the curve flatline into a coma with the occasional little bump. Zoom in on those bumps and they are actually squiggly lines that read “meh. make another. all your time are belong to us”

We are a small channel and i noticed the same thing in our channel. I guess the algo is really doing weird and fishy. Its so dissapointing![DOUBLEPOST=1507245847,1507245659][/DOUBLEPOST]
I dont remember actual statement. But Derral eves? mentioned that if you can show growth for 90 days then you should likely get a bump from youtube. I dont know if its running 90 day average or how often youre being analyzed. So maybe theres not a growth check. But i am trying to keep my averages up.

I heard that from that guy too it was mentioned in one of his video. Plus he suggested that we small channels should be uploading 3x a week no less than that anymore. Sadly we only can upload 2x a week

Back