Best recording program for PC

Use Fraps its the best overall there are no problems with it and its better than dxtory

It really isn't, it's a lot simpler but you can hardly customize anything, and if your audio gets badly recorded in Dxtory, no biggie, just change the volume of one of the audio tracks. Can't do that with Fraps.

No, Fraps is empirically better than DXTory. Higher quality video because it's uncompressed. DXTory has much more of a performance hit (on the recording side) because it's trying to encode video on the fly and write to the drive. You need a stripe raid in order to record 1080p at 30 FPS consistently whereas FRAPS can do this to a single 7200rpm HDD.

This thread needs more Unregistered Hypercam V2.0

Yes, it is in some cases and will work for some people, but DXTory will work for other cases and for other people, also its performance hit depends on the codec used. I use Lagarith and it's fine for me. And if you don't want it to be compressed, use a different codec or use the default one and disable compression and make it RGB. People please make your posts neutral instead of coming in here saying one is superior than the other when all things of this nature have pros and cons! ;)

Hypercam 2 is now free to use! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1377022443,1377022385][/DOUBLEPOST]
It really isn't, it's a lot simpler but you can hardly customize anything, and if your audio gets badly recorded in Dxtory, no biggie, just change the volume of one of the audio tracks. Can't do that with Fraps.

Yeah, but DXTory is complicated for a newbie to stuff like that, at least fraps is simple for newbies! :)

No, Fraps is empirically better than DXTory. Higher quality video because it's uncompressed. DXTory has much more of a performance hit (on the recording side) because it's trying to encode video on the fly and write to the drive. You need a stripe raid in order to record 1080p at 30 FPS consistently whereas FRAPS can do this to a single 7200rpm HDD.

I used FRAPS before so i know both software's but you are wrong on the Dxtory, im recording 1080P BF3 with 60FPS write and 110FPS on screen displayed with GTX 670 SLi and 3570K on a single non raid 7200 RPM HDD.

I used FRAPS before so i know both software's but you are wrong on the Dxtory, im recording 1080P BF3 with 60FPS write and 110FPS on screen displayed with GTX 670 SLi and 3570K on a single non raid 7200 RPM HDD.

Very interesting since a reasonable quality encode under something like YUV420 recording 1080p at 60FPS would require about 177MB/s transfer rate and most standard 1TB or similar size 7200 RPM drives only transfer at a sustained 70 MB/s or so. Some of the 3 platter drives can push 150 MB/s, and the 10,000 Raptor drives are right about the same. So either you're using a codec that is dumping quality like the town bicycle on prom night or you're breaking the laws of physics.

It is worth noting that codecs matter a great deal. But at the end of the day, FRAPS image quality is superior because it hasn't been compressed by codec down to a size that allows it to be written to a single drive at 1080p 60 FPS.

Very interesting since a reasonable quality encode under something like YUV420 recording 1080p at 60FPS would require about 177MB/s transfer rate and most standard 1TB or similar size 7200 RPM drives only transfer at a sustained 70 MB/s or so. Some of the 3 platter drives can push 150 MB/s, and the 10,000 Raptor drives are right about the same. So either you're using a codec that is dumping quality like the town bicycle on prom night or you're breaking the laws of physics.

It is worth noting that codecs matter a great deal. But at the end of the day, FRAPS image quality is superior because it hasn't been compressed by codec down to a size that allows it to be written to a single drive at 1080p 60 FPS.
Im using Lagarith Lossless Codec with YV12 mode, also the internal Dxtory test shows that its getting 132 MB/sec on my hard drive. As for the quality i cant tell the difference and the size is about the same. The video in my signature was recorded with Dxtory while video such as the
Battlefield 3 : Gun Master - Slow on Start but quick on finish [PC GTX 670 SLI]
was recorded with FRAPS and rendered with Premiere Pro, the quality is exactly the same.

Camtasia Studio (Incredible Editor) comes with a great recorder that I use all the time. You can record your webcam, mic, and system audio

Yes, it is in some cases and will work for some people, but DXTory will work for other cases and for other people, also its performance hit depends on the codec used. I use Lagarith and it's fine for me. And if you don't want it to be compressed, use a different codec or use the default one and disable compression and make it RGB. People please make your posts neutral instead of coming in here saying one is superior than the other when all things of this nature have pros and cons! ;)

Hypercam 2 is now free to use! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1377022443,1377022385][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah, but DXTory is complicated for a newbie to stuff like that, at least fraps is simple for newbies! :)

Better learn the good tools than start with the bad ones, since both of those programs cost around the same.

Not many people know about this, but there is a program called MSI Afterburner, completely free and amazing! Hardly any frame drop!

think xsplit or obs are because it opens up more options

the live gamer Hd capture card is great for pc gaming. works with no lag in any game and easily captures the desktop too :)

what im doing now is streaming with xsplit then if it's a solo game i capture the footage with the hd and maybe try to do a crappy lp from it hehe

I use Dxtory mainly for the audio channel thingy.

Now I can play the game with the volume as high as I like and enjoy the game. Then when I edit I just lower the game sound volume down and raise my commentarys up so the viewers can hear me over the game sound.

And I can edit stuff out in my commentary without affecting the game sound if i want to.

works perfectly.

and I'm using Lagarith Lossless Codec when recording and haven't noticed any quality problems, the files get huge however.

the Dxtory vs. FRAPS discussion is just silly. In a pepsi challenge no one would even notice any difference.

Back