Advertising on other channels (Discussion)

Even as a much smaller Youtuber I understand the pain ever so slightly. I recently uploaded a video that I worked pretty hard on and one of the first comments I get on it (which I am normally happy to get comments at all) was, "Cool video man! I would appreciate if you could maybe return the favor, hit that big red button and check my channel out, because i just smashed the subscribe and like button on your channel :D Amazing channel, keep going bro!"

=\ Uhh....no. Sub4Sub is never what I have in mind as far as growing goes. And it's even funnier when you tell them that and they "possibly" unsubscribe. Good riddance. Didn't want you around anyways. =] But I'm sure it's much more of a pain in the butt for you larger Youtubers with a ton of subscribers. =\ When do you stop going through your comments when you begin having more then 100,000 subscribers? And by that I mean at least as much as you use to?

People who comment stuff like "check out my channel" are doing it wrong...It's just like when they do it here on these forums! >.> No one is going to check out a channel if there isn't any value for the viewer in doing so. Everyone has their own agenda and needs a reason to actually click on someones username. Making a nice comment or a funny comment will intrigue the reader and go 100 times further than tagging "check out my channel" at the end of a comment. All that does is turn people off.

I've had a bunch of "check out my channel" comments that end up in the trash, however, if someone posts a video playing a song that they learned from me, or a very related video of them playing the same song, I'm usually really happy about their reply, and I usually watch their video. I think it might be different with animation, but folk music stuff is pretty laid-back and casual. The music is more about having a conversation with other musicians instead of having performances...

Even as a much smaller Youtuber I understand the pain ever so slightly. I recently uploaded a video that I worked pretty hard on and one of the first comments I get on it (which I am normally happy to get comments at all) was, "Cool video man! I would appreciate if you could maybe return the favor, hit that big red button and check my channel out, because i just smashed the subscribe and like button on your channel :D Amazing channel, keep going bro!"

=\ Uhh....no. Sub4Sub is never what I have in mind as far as growing goes. And it's even funnier when you tell them that and they "possibly" unsubscribe. Good riddance. Didn't want you around anyways. =] But I'm sure it's much more of a pain in the butt for you larger Youtubers with a ton of subscribers. =\ When do you stop going through your comments when you begin having more then 100,000 subscribers? And by that I mean at least as much as you use to?

Actually I would say its probably worse being a small youtuber with these comments, because your first comments are precious, and ive noticed S4Subbers tend to target smaller channels since they think they are more likely to fall for it.

for comments, I'm still managing, I definitely read every single comment without any problems, but I chose certain ones to reply to. I don't want people to think im "bot replying" to them, when i start repeating phrases, and stuff.
I try my best to change up my comments and make them feel individual, sometimes including their names when I reply, Just want to make sure it reads genuine.

I will always ignore hate, unless it's actual legitimate criticism,
and ive started to ignore people that ask blatantly obvious questions that are answered in the video credits AND the description.

then again I am a slow uploader, i probably don't get a ton of comments to reply to compared with someone that uploads daily.

but yeah, I hope i never have to stop going through comments, its the best part of having a channel![DOUBLEPOST=1492786557,1492786346][/DOUBLEPOST]
if someone posts a video playing a song that they learned from me, or a very related video of them playing the same song, I'm usually really happy about their reply, and I usually watch their video. I think it might be different with animation, but folk music stuff is pretty laid-back and casual. The music is more about having a conversation with other musicians instead of having performances...
Yeah it is a little different, I've had people link to their reviews of my videos, and that's totally legitimate and fine. and usually the animation community all comment on each other's videos anyway, and you can easily tell by their profile pictures what channel they have.

I guess it happens to almost every youtuber, because everyone wants to the views and subscribers, and do it because think that will help them grow!

At least I will try to make a comment related to the video, and not ask them to come to mine, because I would feel fake if asking them to do it. Niceness comes a long way!

I used to get a lot of spam comments like that, but thankfully that's kind of stopped now. Honestly, I just find it incredibly annoying because I love reading the comments I get and interacting with people who comment, and when I get a comment thats complimenting my video but goes into "u should check out my channel lol I post _____" it's like you automatically know that they didn't even bother to watch the video and that they're just commenting on a ton of videos with the same comment to promote their own channel.
I mean, thank god for that spam folder but these self promotion comments in general are like known throughout youtube to not do a channel any good so I really don't get why people keep posting them:spin:

It's nice when someone comments on your video saying that they enjoyed it. However, when they end the comment with 'Check out my channel', it is very clear what their intentions are. Chances are, they don't actually care about your video and just wanted to get themselves known. Due to this, I also believe that this takes away from the compliment and would just rather no comment be left.

I think that these people dont even watch the video.

Also LOL at the yellow comment. No beating around the bush with this guy lol.

I am getting either the same as yours, or people asking me for a shoutout. I'm ignoring all of those. If you're creative with it ok, but just downright begging isnt gonna work.

I am very much more prone to click a channel name/logo if I see a funny or witty comment than a comment directly asking me to. I've also been told people have found me from funny comments or replies too! My opinion on the matter is comment often but meaningfully and the people will come.

Back