2015 CPM/post-holiday warning

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is just an early warning that CPM's are going to be dropping for most channels as the prime advertising season is over. Interestingly, I didn't notice any topics this year talking about December's higher CPM season.

Actually, I just checked my December CPM's and it was lower than November. But November and December was still 10% higher than October.

Google frowns on discussing your exact CPM so in general terms, how was your last quarter of 2014?

Wreckless Eating

YouTube Space LA Alumni
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
We had the same result as you, but our CPM did go higher in the last part of December after we moved away from Fullscreen. I'm hoping January was like last year when we only had a 15% dropoff compared to December.

Reactions: markkaz

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@Wreckless Eating I remember my drop-off last year was terrible. Something like 35-40%. I don't expect such a plummet this year as I am in a Google Preferred category.

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So far December is VERY good in terms of CPM. Similar to World Cup time.
But I know that it won't stay like that. I expect a drop-off of 30%.

Shane

YouTube Network Addict
Reaction score
Again, I saw better CPM in November/June than December though December was also rather high & I saw a better fill-rate in December.

The company I work for did a short study on the drop this year and expects the rapid plummet to happen around the 3-4th of January and the overall CPM loss month-to-month from November to be -57%.

ThioJoe

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
@Wreckless Eating I remember my drop-off last year was terrible. Something like 35-40%. I don't expect such a plummet this year as I am in a Google Preferred category.
Huh. I didn't realize that was a thing. I just looked in the "Google Preferred Lineup" auto-generated channel and my tech channel was on there.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Again, I saw better CPM in November/June than December though December was also rather high & I saw a better fill-rate in December.

The company I work for did a short study on the drop this year and expects the rapid plummet to happen around the 3-4th of January and the overall CPM loss month-to-month from November to be -57%.
57% is huge! I'm glad that I have the views to survive such fluctuations.

Reactions: Daywalker

Shane

YouTube Network Addict
Reaction score
57% is huge! I'm glad that I have the views to survive such fluctuations.
Yep though it really depends on the channel.

Channels with foreign viewers especially those from western europe, the middle east and asia will take the biggest hit.
Those with a majority english audience could easily take a hit half that amount or less.

Wreckless Eating

YouTube Space LA Alumni
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Did you make it in the top 1% list? That's the only way you'll see any meaningful ads based on the structure of the preferred program.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Did you make it in the top 1% list? That's the only way you'll see any meaningful ads based on the structure of the preferred program.
No, top 5% in the Parenting & Family Google Preferred Lineup

It seems I have an extra ad category though compared to other channels.