Youtube avert - Join the British army??

ChillNation

Say Hi everybody
Today on a black ops 2 video and some other completely unrelated videos I saw an advert to join the army many times.

For young children and maybe some ex army officers this could be distressing and very inappropriate, I personally don't think the army should advertise on Youtube due to the young ages that use it and for those ex army officers who may be distressed and those who are family members or close relationships to those who die in war??

This could become a touchy subject so please respect everyone well in this please.

What do you think about this??

It very well could be distressing or inappropriate but there is no sure way to limit who see's these adverts. I don't think its wrong for the army to be advertised, however I can see how it could give the wrong impression to a younger audience. Preventing adverts for the army due to it affecting some people would be like preventing an advert for Call of Duty as that may also have the same response. Although one is a game and another real, I don't see a large difference in advert content.

You've posed a very challenging question here, I look forward to the responses :)

you say this.. but then what about the Royal Navy adverts on TV? this could be the exact same thing. It's not just adverts about the Army and Navy either..
Adverts about cancer and things like that could have the same effects on families that have lost people due to cancel.. But the thing is, on youtube they are only going to put adverts in places where it links to what people are watching.. is someone whos distressed by war or who has lost a family member in the war really going to be watching COD videos?
also you will be seeing these adverts on some unrelated videos because youtube can see that you've watched a lot of videos to do with COD and things like that so they will give you adverts that they think you will be interested in.

I can't really see how someone who is distressed by thoughts of the army, would be watching anything at all to do with COD?

To me, it seems like COD players are an excellent demographic of potential armed forces recruits.

you say this.. but then what about the Royal Navy adverts on TV? this could be the exact same thing. It's not just adverts about the Army and Navy either..
Adverts about cancer and things like that could have the same effects on families that have lost people due to cancel.. But the thing is, on youtube they are only going to put adverts in places where it links to what people are watching.. is someone whos distressed by war or who has lost a family member in the war really going to be watching COD videos?
also you will be seeing these adverts on some unrelated videos because youtube can see that you've watched a lot of videos to do with COD and things like that so they will give you adverts that they think you will be interested in.
MM okay yeah you have a good point there

I can't really see how someone who is distressed by thoughts of the army, would be watching anything at all to do with COD?

To me, it seems like COD players are an excellent demographic of potential armed forces recruits.
I said they were on other unrelated videos too like funny animal videos and that

It very well could be distressing or inappropriate but there is no sure way to limit who see's these adverts. I don't think its wrong for the army to be advertised, however I can see how it could give the wrong impression to a younger audience. Preventing adverts for the army due to it affecting some people would be like preventing an advert for Call of Duty as that may also have the same response. Although one is a game and another real, I don't see a large difference in advert content.

You've posed a very challenging question here, I look forward to the responses :)
Yeah, good strong points, and thank you so do I

I said they were on other unrelated videos too like funny animal videos and that

But if you think how YouTube adverts and related videos work, they're suggesting videos to YOU, knowing that you watch 50,000 COD videos a week :)

So what they're saying is that you personally are a fantastic candidate to join the army. Google advertising is clever, and tries to target it only at people who fit the profile.

I was a million cat videos a day, and I've never seen an army advert :)

I don't really think them advertising on YouTube is a very touchy subject, I do however think they should only display those ads to people over a certain age and not glamorize the military.

Its just like the army advertising on TV which is probly a more varied audience than youtube, age wise. But I agree not to glamerize it, but show how it is. The funny thing about this is there is a military orientated advert for me on this very page as type this post haha

Back