YouTube as a Full-Time Job

TheWillBox

I make moving pictures!
Hello, since this a community of content creators I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on this idea.

Those that are thinking of/have made YouTube their main source of income, how long do you think this career can last?

The prospect of relying on views for a stable income for the rest of my life (I'm 27 so that's a long life left) is very concerning. I don't think I can ever make that commitment and the fear of one day losing popularity or YouTube shutting down is too big of a risk for me.

I know there are outliers that can make 1M+ a year then do it for a few years and retire... but I assume that's a handful of people. Even if a "successful" YouTuber was to make $80k a year (average income in my field) you would have to keep making that every year for the rest of your life for it to be a stable full-time job to support yourself and your family.

I want to hear some thoughts on this, if that is your goal or if that's what you are doing now.

I don't know how I would react if someone came to me with a resume that said, "Last 2 years making YouTube videos" as a job experience... I guess if you apply for a media job that could work.

If I was an interviewer at a famous radio station or a TV-show, you'd apply and I'd see that you have a 3 year experience as a successful commentator or entertainer on YouTube, it would be a huge plus.
And to that part with the "keep making videos for all your life" , thats how a job works, it's not like you wouldn't have to work for a job your whole life, thats how it always/everywhere works.

I would wait some years though (Even if you're smosh or pewdiepie) and see how YouTube will turn out and if it will still exist by then.

Never trust the internet as a full time job, because you can go down very easily by just something. An error could get rid of your channel and you don't get money anymore. Also putting it as job experience will not get you a very good job, instead I think people will reject you because you have an audiance and you don't want your good name to be ruined by someone.

Hello, since this a community of content creators I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on this idea.

Those that are thinking of/have made YouTube their main source of income, how long do you think this career can last?

The prospect of relying on views for a stable income for the rest of my life (I'm 27 so that's a long life left) is very concerning. I don't think I can ever make that commitment and the fear of one day losing popularity or YouTube shutting down is too big of a risk for me.

I know there are outliers that can make 1M+ a year then do it for a few years and retire... but I assume that's a handful of people. Even if a "successful" YouTuber was to make $80k a year (average income in my field) you would have to keep making that every year for the rest of your life for it to be a stable full-time job to support yourself and your family.

I want to hear some thoughts on this, if that is your goal or if that's what you are doing now.

I don't know how I would react if someone came to me with a resume that said, "Last 2 years making YouTube videos" as a job experience... I guess if you apply for a media job that could work.
I worked out before that to earn 30k€ a year I`d have to get 25,000 views daily.

I didnt start to youtube to do it as a job but to do it as fun and entertain people too :)

Never trust the internet as a full time job, because you can go down very easily by just something. An error could get rid of your channel and you don't get money anymore. Also putting it as job experience will not get you a very good job, instead I think people will reject you because you have an audiance and you don't want your good name to be ruined by someone.
you could not be more wrong about it being bad thing to say you had as your past job.. if someone who had over like 100k+ subscribers went for a job and the boss asked 'do you have any experiences' you can easily and happy say 'yes over 100k subscribers on youtube' this would look good because well hell it means your good at promotion and if you upload to a schedule it means you do work and get things done on time. ECT, but saying this it does matter what kind of job you're going for.

Reactions: Lin
Hey there, I really like your content and would love for you to be part of our network unfortunately you have contact lock on your YouTube and I don't quite have 50 posts to directly contact you here. So I contacted you over your FB. Hope you consider us.

-Sanect Network.
seems totally legit.

Unless you are PewDiePie (He earns like 500k$ a month), I wouldn't rely on it as a full-time job.
You can never be sure if someone will stop watching your videos or what not.

But I would have it as a side-job, next to my real job.

Unless you are PewDiePie (He earns like 500k$ a month), I wouldn't rely on it as a full-time job.
You can never be sure if someone will stop watching your videos or what not.

But I would have it as a side-job, next to my real job.
he makes no where near this :') hahaha he makes around £300k-£700k a year :)

Back