ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Hey guys,

So I'm sure you guys have heard about the #WTFU going about recently. How big channels are getting their content taken down despite them being within fair use.

The #WTFU from Channel Awesome sums it up pretty nicely.

The best thing all of us can do is make sure all of our videos are backed up, make sure to send people to your social media accounts. Maybe create a backup youtube channel.

But there has got to be more we can do than just hide and hope the big bad copyright wolf doesn't find us.

Any suggestions? Maybe any stories if any of you have already experienced this?

Thanks and I hope you are well,

ProfKranc

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is the end of youtube man.

We are going to have to pack our bags and go to a different site.

I guess we will move to funnyjunk.

just give me the noose now

TheRunningRocker

YouTuber / Casual Gamer / Jedi in training.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Come on this happens every couple of years....
All it is.... Is the corporate giants complaining that they don't have enough money. There will be another big up on the copyright laws and then it will level out again. No matter what you do copyright is always going to be a problem. Hell i'm having copyright hell with 3D printing at the moment... I have a feeling there is going to be a big shift in copyright law in general in the next few years if the corporate giants like it or not... It's going to happen. Best bet for our channels is sort of the tell our audience that we are not going no matter what... well thats my take on things anyway :pompus:

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
YouTube policy changes everytime. Few years ago YouTube just used to send COPYRIGHT STRIKES to the channel, but now they just send the CONTENT ID Match and let the owner monetize that content. Now YouTube sends the copyright strike very rarely. However I can understand what you are saying, but moving to different site won't be really useful because they may also be able to send copyright strikes as they are established.

Reactions: TheRunningRocker

TheRunningRocker

YouTuber / Casual Gamer / Jedi in training.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube policy changes everytime. Few years ago YouTube just used to send COPYRIGHT STRIKES to the channel, but now they just send the CONTENT ID Match and let the owner monetize that content. Now YouTube sends the copyright strike very rarely. However I can understand what you are saying, but moving to different site won't be really useful because they may also be able to send copyright strikes as they are established.
Totally agree with you there... To be honest it's 10x better now than it was 3 years ago were just 2 seconds of music would get you a strick

Reactions: Jawad Soomro

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I personally get written permission for any third party content I use so this doesn't effect me at all. Well - probably it means less competition ;)

YouTube policy changes everytime. Few years ago YouTube just used to send COPYRIGHT STRIKES to the channel, but now they just send the CONTENT ID Match and let the owner monetize that content.
It's not YouTube policy - It's the one of the copyright holders.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Come on this happens every couple of years....
All it is.... Is the corporate giants complaining that they don't have enough money. There will be another big up on the copyright laws and then it will level out again. No matter what you do copyright is always going to be a problem. Hell i'm having copyright hell with 3D printing at the moment... I have a feeling there is going to be a big shift in copyright law in general in the next few years if the corporate giants like it or not... It's going to happen. Best bet for our channels is sort of the tell our audience that we are not going no matter what... well thats my take on things anyway :pompus:
Yep, creators standing by youtube through any decisions or changes, good or bad, is what will keep the platform alive... and I haven't had my internet fame yet so lets do keep it alive :D

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
What does WTFU stand for?

Reactions: coliwob