Will longer videos with lower Audience Retention hurt my other videos?

NY41

Member
My channel has a lot of shorter (< 10 minute) videos, but lately to fill in the gaps I've been posting longer LP videos that don't cost much to produce except for time.

When looking at the reports for these LP videos, I've noticed that they all have steep dropoffs in Audience Retention, so even if their views are ok the "Average Audience Retention" graphs are far below average.

While this hasn't had an immediate impact on the rest of my channel (that I can tell, yet) can this downward trend affect my channel overall, such as by CPM or my other videos appearance in "Suggested Videos"?
 
I believe YouTube does factor audience retention in when it comes to determining SEO for your videos as well as your overall channel average, so it's very important to make sure you keep that "percentage viewed" value up. It wont have an effect of CPM of course, perhaps on suggested videos a bit, but it does have an effect when people are using the search bar. Your video will be less likely to appear at the top of results when you have low retention. Keep in mind that retention is just one factor of many that YouTube considers when ranking videos, so it's not the be-all and end-all to have bad retention on a few videos.
 
Back
Top