Widescreen or Vertical?

ApexTV

ApexTV Makes Top 10 Videos!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you ever record with your phone? If so, there is probably a chance that you film vertically. By this I mean holding your phone the vertical or up and down way when you film the video. Not only are the thick black pillarbox bars on either side of the video extremely annoying, but the human eyes are designed to see the world in widescreen. That's why they sit side-by-side, and not on top of each other. And sure, sometimes it's just easier to hold your phone vertically in one hand to capture a scene. But if you take the extra second to turn it sideways and use two hands, you'll capture loads more resolution and the footage won't look like you're riding out an earthquake.

Reactions: HiJoshua

theRasoo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
hahahaha good post :D I find it also better with widescreen :D But! its so much harder for me to hold my phone for widescreen video capturing hahaha and my Iphone video looks like one earthquake when I'm vlogging and walking, I was thinking Apple would make some stabilization but not... My vlogs are in middle of earthuaqe hahaah so dont use that kind of material but I hope I will find some solution soon about it :D

Ylatten

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If you have to record with a phone, always go widescreen. I like to show people a video called "Vertical Video Syndrome". YouTube it. It's by Glove and Boots.

Reactions: theRasoo

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Offcoarse widescreen is the best :D
Vertical looks unprofessional :p
I just fix my phone on the tripod and it works very well :D

ZombieBrain

Always hungry!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you have to record with a phone, always go widescreen. I like to show people a video called "Vertical Video Syndrome". YouTube it. It's by Glove and Boots.
This video is hilarious but also very educational at the same time! Vertical videos make me furious, and You don't want to make a Zombie angry :D

Cha0sTo0k

Reaction score
Im guilty of this. I never upload those video's though.

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I don't many people are thinking of the artistry of recording when taking video of a fight or something. Usually those who do this are in a situation where they are either focusing on the action without looking at the camera, or considering their safety

Zerodecoole

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
caesar.wtf
Channel Type
Other
True true. A lot of viral videos are recorded vertically.
And I saw a video of someone of someone setting fireworks off in a college cafetaria and I couldn't see it properly because it was recorded vertically and very shaky.

Kloer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I haven't uploaded anything from mobile but I definitely record horizontally. Widescreen all the way people! :D

resvrgm

Crazy Internet Stalker Chick
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I once heard in one of my cinematography classes that wide screen are the best when it comes to moving images, since our eyes are located side to side (duh :poop:), so when we see movements in wide screen, it would be more cinematic, realistic, and above all (i think) extremely prettier.

This is why some films in the cinema uses anamorphic lenses. They just look so much better. :biggrin: