When does a DSLR become "old"?

BobbyKryptonite

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi everyone

I have had the Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T4i) since February 2012, it has been a wonderful camera and still serves me well. I just wanted to know, at what point does a DSLR become "old"? Like at what age does it become hard to find lenses and accessories for it, when can I expect things to go wrong, and has anything revolutionary happened since this camera was new that will mean viewers can tell a difference in quality between videos on the 550D and the latest similarly priced DSLR? Should I buy the extra lenses and stuff now while I can? Or should I be thinking about a new DSLR?

Thanks
Bobby

OzTalksHw

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Commentator, Reviewer
A DSLR body will last as long as your expectations require. If you're cool with the current resolution, MP count, FPS, and other features, then keep the body and get more lenses.

If you find yourself longing for more, then consider upgrading.

BobbyKryptonite

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
A DSLR body will last as long as your expectations require. If you're cool with the current resolution, MP count, FPS, and other features, then keep the body and get more lenses.

Thanks for that, I care about quality, but I am not so much the kind of person who absolutely has to have the latest tech, I tend to wait for it to come down in price, if the video it shoots is still considered good then I shall stick with it and buy more lenses :) thank you

Reactions: OzTalksHw

gregbowes

Happy Halloween!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

My thoughts as well, if you have the money and enjoy it a better lense is a good idea.

Reactions: OzTalksHw

Ciarra deBritto

Bringing your imagination to life.
Reaction score
I have a Canon t5i, previously a Canon t3. As they stated above, it's really about when YOU are ready to move up to the next tier of equipment. I moved up from the t3 because it's highest resolution was 720p which is really old. A Canon t5i or t4i can really be worked wonders, it's just about how you utilize them and their capabilities. :)

And really, the lenses that you purchase are what do the most. The body of the camera doesn't matter as much. I can't tell you how many projects professionals have shot on even a t3i, but their lenses, editing and color grading is what makes all the difference.

As a filmmaker, I plan on keeping my t5i around for a while. Until you feel that you have outgrown your equipment, I wouldn't bother upgrading. :)

Cheers.

BobbyKryptonite

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
My thoughts as well, if you have the money and enjoy it a better lense is a good idea.
I do enjoy this hobby, and I am looking to grow my channels and hopefully organise some pretty cool projects in the future, I shall get saving for those other lens kits :) Thank you :)

I have a Canon t5i, previously a Canon t3. As they stated above, it's really about when YOU are ready to move up to the next tier of equipment. I moved up from the t3 because it's highest resolution was 720p which is really old. A Canon t5i or t4i can really be worked wonders, it's just about how you utilize them and their capabilities. :)

And really, the lenses that you purchase are what do the most. The body of the camera doesn't matter as much. I can't tell you how many projects professionals have shot on even a t3i, but their lenses, editing and color grading is what makes all the difference.

As a filmmaker, I plan on keeping my t5i around for a while. Until you feel that you have outgrown your equipment, I wouldn't bother upgrading. :)

Cheers.
The T4i is capable of 1080p, I never knew about the lenses making the camera :O I have quite fancied an 18-135mm kit so I can get a bit more zoom when I'm photographing/filming wildlife. I have some cool projects in mind so I shall get saving for those lens kits :) What kind of editing would I need to make it better, what software would you recommend? Thank you very much for your advice :)

Ciarra deBritto

Bringing your imagination to life.
Reaction score
I do enjoy this hobby, and I am looking to grow my channels and hopefully organise some pretty cool projects in the future, I shall get saving for those other lens kits :) Thank you :)

The T4i is capable of 1080p, I never knew about the lenses making the camera :O I have quite fancied an 18-135mm kit so I can get a bit more zoom when I'm photographing/filming wildlife. I have some cool projects in mind so I shall get saving for those lens kits :) What kind of editing would I need to make it better, what software would you recommend? Thank you very much for your advice :)
No problem man! Always happy to help. If you ever have more questions feel free to send me a message. :)

For editing, I use Adobe Premiere and After Effects. You can get trials of them for 30 days and then pay them off monthly as far as I know, because they are expensive to pay for in full.

And yes! Lenses are what make ALL the difference. Ever notice how wildlife photographers have those insane long lenses? Obviously they can't get close and personal with lions, so they need a lens that will have crazy zoom to get the shot.

Or how about concert photographers? They are constantly in a situation where they are in a dark venue... kit lenses, like the 18-135mm would not do well in that situation because of the aperture only going as far as 5.6. Low-light lenses have apertures that go as low as 1.4 (I own a 50mm 1.4 lens, I love it!) that help the camera "see" better in low light situations.

You can definitely start with a kit lens, but as you practice and grow more with your camera, you'll notice that kit lens capabilities are very limited. Which is why photographers/videographers start dropping so much $$$ on so many different lenses.

After all, it's all about the shot. :)

gregbowes

Happy Halloween!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

You can make great videos without spending anything on software, you can still find Microsoft moviemaker for free. Trial and error is the best way to learn editing and when you have the budget and really enjoy it then it may be worth getting Adobe Premiere. (Or Final Cut if you are a Mac user. Though you can definitely get Premiere for Mac as well)

BobbyKryptonite

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
No problem man! Always happy to help. If you ever have more questions feel free to send me a message. :)

For editing, I use Adobe Premiere and After Effects. You can get trials of them for 30 days and then pay them off monthly as far as I know, because they are expensive to pay for in full.

And yes! Lenses are what make ALL the difference. Ever notice how wildlife photographers have those insane long lenses? Obviously they can't get close and personal with lions, so they need a lens that will have crazy zoom to get the shot.

Or how about concert photographers? They are constantly in a situation where they are in a dark venue... kit lenses, like the 18-135mm would not do well in that situation because of the aperture only going as far as 5.6. Low-light lenses have apertures that go as low as 1.4 (I own a 50mm 1.4 lens, I love it!) that help the camera "see" better in low light situations.

You can definitely start with a kit lens, but as you practice and grow more with your camera, you'll notice that kit lens capabilities are very limited. Which is why photographers/videographers start dropping so much $$$ on so many different lenses.

After all, it's all about the shot. :)
Thank you, I shall give you a shout if I have more questions :) I shall take a look at those software packages :)

Thanks for the advice about the lens kits for different occasions, these days I mostly do in action cycling videos, and I have a dream of making a BMX video, so I will need the right equipment (I have started researching) and to learn the technique for filming (as well as a few willing riders). I have had an idea for a low budget comedy movie as well, I have started writing the script and am trying to figure out how to film the different scenes I have in mind :)

You can make great videos without spending anything on software, you can still find Microsoft moviemaker for free. Trial and error is the best way to learn editing and when you have the budget and really enjoy it then it may be worth getting Adobe Premiere. (Or Final Cut if you are a Mac user. Though you can definitely get Premiere for Mac as well)
I am already using movie maker, and for the most part it does the job, I just wish I had access to more effects etc. I'm afraid I am a PC user, I shall look into Adobe Premiere :) Thanks for your advice :)

gregbowes

Happy Halloween!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you, I shall give you a shout if I have more questions :) I shall take a look at those software packages :)

Thanks for the advice about the lens kits for different occasions, these days I mostly do in action cycling videos, and I have a dream of making a BMX video, so I will need the right equipment (I have started researching) and to learn the technique for filming (as well as a few willing riders). I have had an idea for a low budget comedy movie as well, I have started writing the script and am trying to figure out how to film the different scenes I have in mind :)

I am already using movie maker, and for the most part it does the job, I just wish I had access to more effects etc. I'm afraid I am a PC user, I shall look into Adobe Premiere :) Thanks for your advice :)
No worries I'm a PC user as well, Macs are great but I think the money is best spent elsewhere!

Reactions: BobbyKryptonite