What's the appeal of gaming channels?

Personally, I don't like Let's Plays. At all. I'm more of a fan of gaming-related videos, rather than watching someone playing a video beginning to end. I'm more of a fan of comedic reviews (Jon Tron/AVGN), thought-provoking videos (Game Theory/Game Explain), or nostalgic-inspired videos (Happy Console Gamer/MetalJesusRocks).
 
Depends what type of content you put up. Some can add entertainment, others can have straight up walk throughs,, or some could have just a mix. Depends what sorts your into
 
I don't mean this negatively at all. I'm just curious to hear from some gamers what makes a gaming channel appealing? I'm 36, I played video games as a kid. My girlfriends daughter spends like three hours a day, not playing minecraft, but watching videos of other people playing minecraft. I just don't get it and would like to understand more.
It all depends. Some people like the gamer themselves and like to hear the witty commentary or wild screams. Other watch it as a tutorial, or ways to get past a tough boss, see the ending, learn secret item locations, etc. Most of Minecraft is mods anymore, they either tell you how to get it/make it or they show off the ones they made.
 
It's just so entertaining.
I love gaming in general, so if I play it myself or watch someone else play it, it doesn't matter.

And you get to know the people on a sort of personal level, and the way they interact with the game (or eachother if there's more than 1 person) can be entertaining or interesting + you get to experience the game at the same time.

And gaming is just so relaxing to sit and watch <3
I could sit and watch it all day. When MasaeAnela played through Tales of Vesperia, and I hadn't watched any of it yet, cause I didn't think I would like the game. But, one day, I had nothing to watch, so I sat down and started the let's play. It was just so good, so I watched around 90 episodes in 1-2 weeks time. Watching around 10 episodes a day. It was amazing.

It also made me buy a XBOX 360 just for that one game.
 
Well when you factor in that 80% of games are grinding and fetch missions why not sit and enjoy the other 20% which is actually a very well written script with (depending on who you watch) accompanied narration? Facecam obviously a must for me on that, and the most recent lets play that springs to mind for me that I've followed is pewdiepie with Second Son.

Growing up, grinding was part of the game for me. Now story is really the only thing I can be bothered for. I don't do multiplayer so I guess you can call me biased with that, but very few games make me play from start to finish. If there isn't an incredible battle system in place (Grandia 2 is still the king imo and second ranks the chess style play, like final fantasy tactics and shining force) then I'm better off watching a lets play.
 
I think not is mostly about the personality of the person playing. But a lot of people enjoy watching someone else play games that they themselves would find too difficult...like Dark Souls.
 
Have you asked your girlfriend's daughter to see what she says herself? A lot of the people will watch gameplays for the following reasons...

1. To be entertained
2. For guides, to get tips & tricks or to see how others play in certain situations
3. To see if they should buy a certain game
4. To watch a game that is in early access/alpha/beta that they can't play yet
 
Back
Top