What Volume Level for Background Music?

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hey man, if I was closer, I'd totally be at their gigs. For now, I've got the Jersey scene
They have been getting gigs across the states lately, they are getting radio play too. Just look for Quor, they put on a wicked a** show even if the fan turnout is s****y. They just like to perform and so far I've been super impressed. I was on the same Navy ship as the bass player, I didn't even realize he was in a band. If you heard one of their live shows you would be hooked if you like rock music, they are amazing. I'll be editing two more of their live songs in the next few days, I think these videos will help them a lot when pitching themselves for gigs. They didn't even realize I was recording the way I was, but I caught some perfect live footage.

Reactions: kkushalbeatzz

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Can you check out the latest video I have uploaded.

I have added background music to it. I turned it down quite low. If you can skip ahead to around the 9:30 mark, you can see where I fade out my vocals and fade in the music.

I think I handled the fade in of the music ok, but I am not sure if the background music is set too low. I dabbled with many different decibels level for the background music, though I felt that when I put it too high, it interfered with the vocals etc. Eventually, I set it at -45 decibels and raised it to -25 at the end.

It seems a little lower after YouTube encoding. What do you think. Should I raise the background music higher?

I'm happy to change it and re-upload. I asked my girlfriend about it last night, but she really doesn't have any experience with that kind of thing. Would love to hear the opinion of those in the know :)

kkushalbeatzz

The original, diabolical, kkushalbeatzz
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer

I have added background music to it. I turned it down quite low. If you can skip ahead to around the 9:30 mark, you can see where I fade out my vocals and fade in the music.

I think I handled the fade in of the music ok, but I am not sure if the background music is set too low. I dabbled with many different decibels level for the background music, though I felt that when I put it too high, it interfered with the vocals etc. Eventually, I set it at -45 decibels and raised it to -25 at the end.

It seems a little lower after YouTube encoding. What do you think. Should I raise the background music higher?

I'm happy to change it and re-upload. I asked my girlfriend about it last night, but she really doesn't have any experience with that kind of thing. Would love to hear the opinion of those in the know :)
I'm not using headphones right now, but I can't hear a thing

Reactions: Kevin Muldoon

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other

I have a bunch of loud fans running in the room I'm in and I'm using a headphone, but I can only hear music around 9:35. It is pretty quiet.

Reactions: Kevin Muldoon

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah I thought the same. When I was setting the background level, I was using my headphones to listen to the background level. I should have considered the fact that others will not be using headphones and considered the fact that YouTube needs to encode my video.

What do you think - Should I increase the background level by 10 or 15 decibels?

One thing I did notice, however, was that the background music does hide the background noise that was in the original recording.[DOUBLEPOST=1429205188,1429127582][/DOUBLEPOST]I reuploaded the video. It's the latest one in my channel.

Changed the background music from -45 db to -30 db. Let me know what you think @kkushalbeatzz and @Munchito696 :)

Last edited: