What Many Don't Realize

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used to do YouTube like this:
Make video, quick edit, upload, nice title on-the-spot, few keywords, tell friends to watch by just sharing link with message: "Hey check this vid yo!" (Videos did well 300-800 views a vid)

That doesn't sound too bad right? WRONG! Times have changed. Yet I feel like so many people still do this. Do you?

That was about four years ago and I mean I'd love for it to be that simple still but over the last two months I started over with a new channel and since then I've gotten much more serious about YouTube and I've learned a lot. From this forum as well as watching tons of videos not just for fun but for fun education. What I've realized is that YouTube is no longer that simple upload and share platform that it used to be. If you want to be successful you have to be ON IT 24/7 and DO IT MUCH MORE. If you do it as a hobby, you have to treat it as a serious hobby (If you want to grow).

Like blink-182, it's about "All the Small Things." You can't just have a great video nowadays, it's funny because that's like that last thing that you need to worry about, ironic but true. You have to research what's hot, find the right titles, keywords, choose the right thumbnails, include the right call to actions, utilize social media, narrow your niche, and much MUCH more.

Those viral videos didn't get millions of views by themselves, although, it sure seems like it. They had someone putting in work to share and spread the word lucratively. The fact that it seems like it came out of nowhere is because someone did that job very well and also the internet nowadays is like a big amplifier. Enjoyable content, once found, is pushed hard and everything else is pushed down to a degree.

I'm not telling you this to discourage you, I'm telling you this because I know a lot of people want to grow and become successful on YouTube but are unaware of how hard it actually is. If you are just doing YouTube for fun that's fine but if you want to have fun AND have hundreds of thousands of subscribers you have to do a LOT MORE.

Thanks for reading! If you already know all this- great! Keep it up! Good luck and have fun :)

Jamie Lee Bones

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As a VERY new tuber, this post is really helpful. I've been recently doing a ton of research on those 'fun for education' videos as well and they help a lot too. Though I also feel like it's hard to find anything substantial with the crazy saturated market of videos saying "How To Be Successful On Youtube".. do you have any suggestions on creators for this type of research?

Reactions: Quick Question

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Here is me getting 10-100 views. That being said I've been inactive for a while. In Australia we have a facebook group that helps us with these things. We all like to keep up to date and give advice to one another. The youtube community as a whole seems really refreshing.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think its a bit crazy to be spending that much time on a channel (unless you want it to be your full time job). I think the method you've mentioned of, uploading, put some tags, share with friends and family is the best way for hobby content creators, who just want to share a slice of the life with the people around them.

Here is me getting 10-100 views. That being said I've been inactive for a while. In Australia we have a facebook group that helps us with these things. We all like to keep up to date and give advice to one another. The youtube community as a whole seems really refreshing.
I'm from Australia too! In Sydney! What facebook community group is this? is this for content creators?

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think its a bit crazy to be spending that much time on a channel (unless you want it to be your full time job). I think the method you've mentioned of, uploading, put some tags, share with friends and family is the best way for hobby content creators, who just want to share a slice of the life with the people around them.

I'm from Australia too! In Sydney! What facebook community group is this? is this for content creators?
AustralianYouTubers. Some of my youtube acquaintances were on the vidcon panels. Great system really.

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
This is very good advice, YouTube is definitely more than just 'upload and go' at this point, it's a lot about the community and since its harder for new YouTubers to get out there and get recommended, I think sharing it YOURSELF is a good way to go, social media, forums (like this), facebook groups, reddit ect

satiricals

I've Got It
Reaction score
I used to do YouTube like this:
Make video, quick edit, upload, nice title on-the-spot, few keywords, tell friends to watch by just sharing link with message: "Hey check this vid yo!" (Videos did well 300-800 views a vid)

That doesn't sound too bad right? WRONG! Times have changed. Yet I feel like so many people still do this. Do you?

That was about four years ago and I mean I'd love for it to be that simple still but over the last two months I started over with a new channel and since then I've gotten much more serious about YouTube and I've learned a lot. From this forum as well as watching tons of videos not just for fun but for fun education. What I've realized is that YouTube is no longer that simple upload and share platform that it used to be. If you want to be successful you have to be ON IT 24/7 and DO IT MUCH MORE. If you do it as a hobby, you have to treat it as a serious hobby (If you want to grow).

Like blink-182, it's about "All the Small Things." You can't just have a great video nowadays, it's funny because that's like that last thing that you need to worry about, ironic but true. You have to research what's hot, find the right titles, keywords, choose the right thumbnails, include the right call to actions, utilize social media, narrow your niche, and much MUCH more.

Those viral videos didn't get millions of views by themselves, although, it sure seems like it. They had someone putting in work to share and spread the word lucratively. The fact that it seems like it came out of nowhere is because someone did that job very well and also the internet nowadays is like a big amplifier. Enjoyable content, once found, is pushed hard and everything else is pushed down to a degree.

I'm not telling you this to discourage you, I'm telling you this because I know a lot of people want to grow and become successful on YouTube but are unaware of how hard it actually is. If you are just doing YouTube for fun that's fine but if you want to have fun AND have hundreds of thousands of subscribers you have to do a LOT MORE.

Thanks for reading! If you already know all this- great! Keep it up! Good luck and have fun :)
Late 2008 to 2010 was prime for me. Collabing with others on machinimas, get your named spelled wrong in the credits, no link, & still get your subscriber count up. I'd upload maybe once every few months; mainly doing voice overs for my buddies & chilling in skype calls, and I'd always get more views than my subscriber count when I uploaded. More than usually, double my subscribers easy. Unless it was like an effect test upload then I'd still get above my subscriber count.

Youtube has changed. You do have to put in work but it's not as hard as it seems.

If you want to make let's plays/funny moments, keep on top of game developers and find out which games will likely have a following. Learn the mannerisms of how people typically search for game videos (there's usually a few popular ways on how people type different things to find the same type of content.) Get your place in the search engines and be so diverse with your tags that you stick as long as possible before some giant pushes you out of the way.

You want to be on the first 3 pages; preferably page uno.

You're doing toy reviews then find out about toys coming out. Have the money to buy toys kids are going to want for their birthdays and christmases from the get go. Find a way to stick even though giants are going to try to push you out of the way. Maybe you include some slow mo shots, etc.

You don't need to promote heavily if you find where the search volume is going to be and swoop in from the get go. You just got to be ahead of the curve with your content. You got to be proactive rather than reactive.

In some way or another or it's just going to be a hobby.