What Editing Software Should I Use?

Avarti

Hey guys,

Since I started posting Youtube videos on my channel I've been editing my videos with Camtasia Studio 8. I feel like this software is good. It's simple, has lots of features and I think my videos turn out pretty good.
However, I want to improve. Whilst I like the content I produce, I want to evolve and become better than I currently am. I want to know if I should try using some more complex software to make my videos better quality than they are currently. If so, what sort of software should I be looking to upgrade to (If I should at all)?
I have Adobe After Effects CS6, but I've only really used it once or twice to no avail. I have heard lots of people say it's powerful software that yields great results, but I don't really know where to start.

I would really appreciate some advice as to whether I should bother trying to learn how to use more advances softer like AE, or stick to what I'm using currently.

Thanks for reading,
Avarti.

Right off the bat, you'll have no use for After Effects if you're doing standard gaming videos (like what you have on your channel so far). Camtasia is a great gateway program, since it's easy to use and introduces you to lots of the features you'll be able to use in higher caliber programs. For your channel I'd say you would want to be looking at getting Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere. The version of the program is up to you, newer ones tend to be more polished but obviously have a higher cost. Vegas and Premiere both have very similar features and layout, I personally use Vegas 13 since I had been using 12 for a long time prior. But having worked with Premiere as well, I can say that they are pretty much equal in quality. So pick whichever one works best for you man, best of luck!

I use corel visual stuidos, I find it to be a great program personally, it gives you the ability to do alot. but It doesn't have a lot of the polish like Vegas and premier has. Though it's functionality is better if you can't wait for a long rendering process. Though it's limited on some things, like not being able to use After Effects files (that I know of). Effects and so forth are limited compared to the power houses, so you tend to have to make your own.

I too use Camtasia to edit my stuff but I find it very frustrating the amount of times it crashes... I just invested on VegasPro 13 but as I'm not used to doing any editing on it, it looks alien to me!

Premiere is really easy to use and if your using after effects it work best with premiere when converting footage

Go for premiere pro if you can. I've used both Sony Vegas Pro 13 and Premiere Pro CC and premiere is much more powerful (a little bit of a bigger learning curve) it renders a ton faster and has a much better workflow.

Back