What device do you edit videos on?

What kind of device do you edit videos on?

• I stream so I don't need to edit

• I upload my videos directly to youtube so I don't need to edit

• I edit on my phone; or a android or ios device

• I edit on a laptop

• I edit on a desktop computer

• Other (edit in VR; edit on smart fridge, edit by physically cutting film reels)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
What kind of device do you edit videos on?1617670422796.png

Follow up questions what do you like and dislike about your editing setup (my answer is below)

1 - I stream so I don't need to edit
2 - I upload my videos directly to youtube so I don't need to edit
3 - I edit on my phone; or a android or ios device
4 - I edit on a laptop
5 - I edit on a desktop computer

6 - Other (edit in VR; edit on smart fridge, edit by physically cutting film reels)1617670432354.png

Mainly I'm most interested in people who edit on a phone. But that's a question for another day lol

My answer - I edit on a "gaming computer" that I built mainly for video editing. My biggest complaint is that my videos are mainly CPU heavy, but while i have a beefy GPU (well it was beefy for 2019/2020) my CPU is from 2012 lol 1617670489139.png

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well if I can boast a little. Flip my collar up and slick back my hair.... yeeaaahhhhh

Just bought the following:

i9X-10920x
64GB ddr4
rtx3080 GC

It wasn't cheap and it was a trial with the company I went through who stated they had 3080's, then said they didn't, then they did, and then they didn't. But I waited an extra 2 weeks and got the 3080 in it.

Thats what I edit on.

Even with that, premiere is having issues, well the Media encoder is. Kicking out tons of errors. An issue that has been wide spread since October 2020, and they are now just getting to fixing it... SMH.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
using desktop = 10core @4.4ghz 64gb ram 1080ti gpu - 35" ultrawide + 29" ultrawide (vertical)
I think a lot depends on type of content, your approach to it & viewer response,,,, many ppl do fine without editing a thing, just record & throw it on YouTube with all the "imperfections" mistakes/deadspace etc... it can work well = live stream from Time Square or 40min gopro video from water park without any lines/waiting.
Personally I'm very picky, so unedited/live/long video better teach me something important about videography :biggrin:
gaming desktops do fine, but I think it's preferred to build/modify pc specifically for editing
tried gaming laptop, editing was allright but still slow & 17" screen felt very limiting, cellphones/tablets are even worse - not enough screen space (it's like editing with 1 hand)
Even with that, premiere is having issues
yep, even the latest pc builds will struggle, it's easy to overload it with multiple video tracks/effects &or specific codecs/fps/resolution = 4k 120fps 10bit h265

Last edited:

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
yep, even the latest pc builds will struggle, it's easy to overload it with multiple video tracks/effects &or specific codecs/fps/resolution = 4k 120fps 10bit h265
Yeah I know the feeling of overload.

It's a known issue with the media encoder. Last I read it has something to do with Nvidia? I dont know I pulled back my version to 14.5 and it works perfectly now. So their 7 versions of updates they screwed something up. The thread on Adobe is about 105 pages, so I am guessing it is not an isolated incident.

I finally was able to get my clients movies. They are straight up 4K 60fps live action. I am thoroughly disappointed in the performance. I watch as my GC peaks out the instant I scrub. Many times I have to pause a clip, then start it again to get it to "render" in full. I pulled back from FULL quality to 1/2 and it did not really help. It only became smoother when I went to 1/4.

Researched, went through a tone of tutorials to optimize and there is little to no difference. The computer I bought that was supposed to be for 4K, has let me down.

Talking with a few people, they said if you have some raw 4k 60fps video, I should pre-render it into the sequence / project. Then it is not constantly jumping off to grab the info on my drive. A good friend of mine who just finished shooting a movie (indie) was floored I didn't do it anyways.

So I guess rendering the video files before working on them is the solution to a much faster higher performance Premiere?

Maybe I am just a dumbass. Well, more of a dumbass than I first thought.

Reactions: Nicekid76

Gediphoto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm on my laptop - the ol' MPB late 2013 (super hot edition :) ) and Da Vinci Resolve.

Works fine and dandy on 1080p, computer drops down on it's knees on 4k with grading.

And yeah.. I'm waiting for the MBP16" with M1 chip..

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think doing proxies is a popular things to speed up performance
Yes. You are correct. I was using the wrong terminology.

I have used Proxies before with less than stable video clips. Helped tremendously.

Again, the only downside is that I will 50GB of video to work on, then the project file will be 30-40gb. I have 8TB but damn, after 3-4 projects I am looking at half a TB taken.

Anywho, appreciate the response!