What computer should I get

billie_jean

Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm looking to start a youtube channel and in the market for a computer (don't have one at the moment). I prefer PC and want it to be able to handle footage from DSLR (sony a7 III) camera, drone footage, time lapses etc without any playback lagging.What machine/specs should I get? a laptop and a tower/desktop recommendation would be great.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome to the forum & congrads on 1st post. Custom order/build desktop with big monitor(s), high core count 10+ & lots of ram 32gb+ is best way to go but also the most complicated = choosing parts, assembly & software installation.

billie_jean

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum & congrads on 1st post. Custom order/build desktop with big monitor(s), high core count 10+ & lots of ram 32gb+ is best way to go but also the most complicated = choosing parts, assembly & software installation.
Thanks for the info. I haven't seen a 10 core laptop (max is 8 core) except for the Origin EON17-x gaming laptop. Is that a good place to start? If i wanted to order a desktop is there a couple brands you could recommend? I'm not sure who does custom design.

EON17-X Gaming Laptop

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I haven't seen a 10 core laptop (max is 8 core) except for the Origin EON17-x gaming laptop
8core laptop sounds great, try to see if you can select NVME(500gb or more) as the main & possibly only drive inside the laptop(no SSD/HDD) with 32gb of ram,,,,,,,in 2017 I ordered a custom parts laptop from CyberpowerPC online store = 4core 16gbRAM & 500nvme drive, did a few edits on it but I love what the desktop brings & build one soon after & now only using laptop for zoom meetings :confused:
made this video after getting & using the desktop for a bit, should be some useful info

billie_jean

Reaction score
What PC to buy will be defined by what software you want to use! As far as I know, the "SlingShot Channel" with 2,67 M. followers is editing its videos with BogartSE for Windows. For that, an Intel i5/i7 with 4 GB RAM and Windows 10 x64 would be enough to edit in UHD 60p. You won't need much budget for that and usage is easy. But if you plan to use many FX and do intense color grading, you might need a bigger editing software - do more learning and need more hardware power. An Intel CPU with QuickSync Video encoding/decoding + a nVideo NVENC capable videocard (1050/1060/1080 or higher) is nice to have.
I plan on using one of the following: filmora pro, adobe premeire pro or davinci resolve

billie_jean

Reaction score
8core laptop sounds great, try to see if you can select NVME(500gb or more) as the main & possibly only drive inside the laptop(no SSD/HDD) with 32gb of ram,,,,,,,in 2017 I ordered a custom parts laptop from CyberpowerPC online store = 4core 16gbRAM & 500nvme drive, did a few edits on it but I love what the desktop brings & build one soon after & now only using laptop for zoom meetings :confused:
made this video after getting & using the desktop for a bit, should be some useful info
that was a very useful video thank you...what about the following laptop, will I have lag issues using adobe premeire or filmora pro if i get it:

billie_jean

Reaction score
or this one?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
specs look very strong on both, do more research, RTX 2070 video card should be great, 1-2TB of PCIe SSD is amazing, lotrs of RAM is awesome, I would see if bigger screen is available like 17/18" it feels like there is never enough screen space when editing, but portability will suffer with bigger screen

Graphic Designer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think you should take a big breath before emitting GAS (gadget acquisition syndrome). Unless you are a professional video editor who needs that sort of computer muscle, don't waste your money. For professionals, time is money, so they invest in the best gear to save on time, and therefore make more money by being more productive.

When your channel has 100K subs and you need a beast machine to improve your video production workflow, then it makes sense. If you are just starting a new channel, and lets be frank here, your niche is most probably already saturated, then get a laptop powerful enough to meet your daily usage needs, with some video editing capability.

Getting a $4K laptop to start a YT channel is a very poor financial decision. YT is a lottery - there is no correlation between initial capital outlay and success. Buy a $2 machine that meets the minimum requirements of your chosen video editing software (video card + 16GB ram is recommended). Then spend the remaining $2k on promoting your channel. That would be money better spent. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: S.H.I.E.L.D. Agency