We Are The Hits (WATH) - Addressing cover song legality issues?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
They are legit if that's what you are asking. They have deals with CBS, Full Screen, Indaba Music remixes. Their is an article on billboard . com about it. They are from NY
That sounds promising! ^^ I saw a few articles, but I guess I'm always overly suspicious about stuff.. : P This sounds exciting, then! : D

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That's a fantastic idea! Thanks! : D I didn't know those existed.. >.> They need to teach this stuff in school. lol!
Only thing I'm not sure about is changing the lyrics or overall melody. Legally changing the lyrics or melody is a derivative work. I don't think this is cleared with WATH. So you would need to stick to the melody and lyrics as the original.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Only thing I'm not sure about is changing the lyrics or overall melody. Legally changing the lyrics or melody is a derivative work. I don't think this is cleared with WATH. So you would need to stick to the melody and lyrics as the original.
I think playing songs as an instrumental version without lyrics is also considered a derivative.. I might try to come up with something played on a violin and see if they will accept it. ^^

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think playing songs as an instrumental version without lyrics is also considered a derivative.. I might try to come up with something played on a violin and see if they will accept it. ^^
That's not a derivative if the melody is the same.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I tried uploading a cover with them and they didn't claim my video as per the policy you first had in your post.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I tried uploading a cover with them and they didn't claim my video as per the policy you first had in your post.
Did they claim anything? I was under the impression that they would claim it and then either post it (or let you upload it) to your Youtube afterwards with the 3rd party claim added. I haven't tried it yet...I'll have to try it sometime soon to see what happens.

Reactions: offbeatbryce

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Did they claim anything? I was under the impression that they would claim it and then either post it (or let you upload it) to your Youtube afterwards with the 3rd party claim added. I haven't tried it yet...I'll have to try it sometime soon to see what happens.
didn't claim anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1433819462,1433819385][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good News KOBALT Publishing just emailed me and told me they recently struck a deal with YouTube to allow cover song monetization through YouTube.

Now you have Universal, Warner, Sony and Kobalt who allow this on YouTube.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
didn't claim anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1433819462,1433819385][/DOUBLEPOST]

Good News KOBALT Publishing just emailed me and told me they recently struck a deal with YouTube to allow cover song monetization through YouTube.

Now you have Universal, Warner, Sony and Kobalt who allow this on YouTube.
That sounds great! : D Thanks for sharing! I hope it applies worldwide! ^-^ Maybe we could get a list going that tracks this kind of information... ^^