Vlog Tips - How To Vlog

subPar603

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great tips, I will probably use these on my next project...

Reactions: Michael

Benny Tamayo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
When I do travel vlogs, I usually point my camera unto the areas/places I am focusing. :) Haha.

Thanks Michael for the tips!^^

Carlos_Clerencia

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
This is to help everyone learn how to vlog and these tips were put together by both myself and Stefan.

1. Most importantly, keep the video to the point, edit out any of the long rambling that most of us do and if you make any mistakes you can always edit them out at the end. Remember that content is king and this applies to every video you make, do your best and reap the rewards.

2. If you do vlogs about your daily life, do your best to show us the most interesting parts of your day rather than everything you do. Take the time to make sure you know what you're going to talk about and give us as much information as you can about the subject you're vlogging about.

3. Make sure you look at the camera and not the ticking clock on the wall. Fall in love with the imaginary person behind the camera and let your true personality shine in your vlogs. If you are having troubles with being used to being on camera practice regularly until you are comfortable even if it takes a few weeks.

4. Prepare what you are going to be talking about before hitting record, you could opt to write a script or find it handy to have some notes so you can remember everything you are going to be talking about. Make sure to prepare your recording equipment such as your lighting and make sure that battery on your camera is fully charged, it can be helpful to carry fully charged spares when recording outdoors. Another tip would be to prepare yourself, gather your thoughts on everything you're going to be talking about or piece them together as you record if necessary.

5. Test the lighting where you'll be vlogging before you record, if the lighting isnt good, add more light or just move somewhere lighting is more suitable.

6. Buy yourself a good quality vlogging camera, these can be fairly priced and small enough to fit right in your pocket so you can take it out right when you need it.

7. Be yourself, most people gravitate to genuine people and watching someone who is comfortable is easier to watch than someone who isnt being genuine or who isnt relaxed/being themselves.

8. Always vlog about something that you are interested in, if you aren't choosing a specific category this wont apply to you, but you could try to talk about something interesting each time. , For example you may do a vlog about cars on a regular basis if you are into them or cooking, sticking to a subject can make things easier for you.

9. Keep up a good energy, there is nothing worse than watching a vlog where the person recording it is looking tired or lifeless or uninterested in what they are saying.

10. Keep in mind that everyone messes up and you can always re-record if you dont like your first recording.
Those are great tips!
I have just started a collab with a channnel.
In that collab i'm vloging so those tips are really useful.
Thanks for sharing!!

JRuncie

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tips. Love learning about ways I can improve the channel.

Justoshow

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Animator
Wow this was written in 2012! Still applies today. These are some very good tips use/apply to a vlog. I definitely will keep this in mind.

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
These are some great times. Also, I know you mentioned about editing out parts that you didn't mean to do or to re-do a video if it has mess ups. What is your thought on having a playlist of Bloopers? Would this be something that can gain extra traction? I'm sure there are some people out there that love to watch people mess up or have socially awkward experiences. I feel like this would help keep content from going to waste.

Maybe I am thinking too hard about ways to pump extra content for videos.

TastesSeoulGood

Vlogging my adventures in Korea
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Love these tips, especially #1. I've just started vlogging, but realize they are a bit boring! So now I'm editing...waiting a day, and cutting the fluff... then waiting another day and editing to cut even more fluff. Hope this will help my retention rate!