Using others' YouTube videos in your own information product video?

Letranada

What's the legality behind using others' YouTube videos in your own information product video? My product is about making videos, so I'll be using others' videos to demonstrate the themes running throughout my lessons and selling the video series. Could I be sued for using others' content?

Moved this to Copy Right Claims section for you. I'm pretty sure you would need permission from anyone to use anyone's video, since it's not your content.

Yes; you'll deff want their permission before use. Especially if they're a bigger channel.
Even without the copyright mark; they can still be claimed as copyrighted.

What's the legality behind using others' YouTube videos in your own information product video? My product is about making videos, so I'll be using others' videos to demonstrate the themes running throughout my lessons and selling the video series. Could I be sued for using others' content?
Yes. Once someone publishes their video on youtube it's considered copyrighted. That's why youtube calls it "publishing" and not posting. Like publishing a book or so so. You could probably get sued but more often the video will just be taken down, maybe you'll get a strike. But the people of youtube are more generous than you would think. I use to ask people all the time if I could use a clip for a video. 90% the answer is yes. Just hit them up with a message asking them to avoid any trouble.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I just got off the phone with a lawyer and was told that as long as it's clear as day that the videos are being used for educational or commentary purposes, things should be fine and I don't need permission.

If it looks like I'm using somebody's image to promote my product or myself, then I risk lawsuit or a cease & desist.

Source: Consultation via RocketLawyer.com

If you're planning to upload your tutorials to YouTube, know that that if you happen to use footage that's listed under Content ID, it will be flagged automatically and the other party will have the ability to either have it removed or, more than likely, monetize it.

Using footage for educational or commentary purposes is still a slippery slope since you have to be very careful how you market, title or promote the videos.

Not to mention, you would still have to be very careful with any audio or music the other videos may have.

If you're planning to upload your tutorials to YouTube, know that that if you happen to use footage that's listed under Content ID, it will be flagged automatically and the other party will have the ability to either have it removed or, more than likely, monetize it.

Using footage for educational or commentary purposes is still a slippery slope since you have to be very careful how you market, title or promote the videos.

Not to mention, you would still have to be very careful with any audio or music the other videos may have.
Yeah. I've seen this with bigger youtubers where they'll put the fair use clause in their video descriptions and still get their video taken down.

Just know that when it comes to using other's content it's always going to be a risky route. When it comes to the law nothing is ever black and white.

If I find my stuff without anyone asking to use it you'll get flagged and a nice copyright strike added to your account. With that being out there, please ask before you do!

The other way to do it, which is one that I use myself for video game footage, is to search first for the content you want and then add a filter for Creative Commons. CC content on YouTube is a license that uploaders can select, and which allows you to remix the video. Then, search out a YouTube downloader site or app, pull the video down and put the pieces into your own presentation. And all you have to do is linkback to the channel in your description.

The reason I do is it to add in game footage of games I don't own or don't have time to snag a recording of.

Back