Using Multiple Programs to Record

Onihag

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

First post, hope im in the right place for this. Im very new to YouTube! I got very confused watching some of my favorite content creators recently. Since I learned a bit on how to edit and what not, I came across a video of Monto playing Dead by Daylight - in the video, he zooms into the game to show a specific description in game, however, his camera stayed where it was at. Now he is still uploading and growing and id say very successful.

My question is, is it better to record the camera/audio separate from the game or whatever content is on the screen using different programs? I use OBS to record, and it does everything I needed it too. I can control the audio levels and quality of the recording - but when researching I came across a number of YouTuber's who use 2 or more different programs to make a video. Is it better to do this? Or is OBS capable of creating the same level of quality in the year 2019?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / software / hardware forum. :)

zerocache

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ok, OBS is primarily for recording, if you feel it's enough for what you're doing then great and it is also true that YTers do use an editor also, like Adobe Premier or Davinci Resolve (or others), to edit their videos to their liking.

I use OBS to record my gameplay and, with the help of Virtual Audio Cables, to split my audio into three tracks, one for the game, one for discord for when I'm playing with friends, and one for my mic.

When I'm done recording, I take it over to Davinici Resolve and, well, try to clean it up, make it look a bit more professional and what not. In the case of playing with friends and there's a lot of swearing around I'm also now able to censor those words out easily.

I've at times shifted bits like I've said later on in the video to earlier on where I felt it was better in context.

For the webcam bit and zooming that Monto did, this is how I would do it in OBS and Davinci Resolve. I would edit the canvas size's width on OBS so it gives me more room to add the cam capture there rather than overlay it on my game footage.

Then in DR I would have two timelines, one the main and final, the other where I'll cut out and edit the camera bit. Once done, I'll overlay the cam timeline over the main one and then do the trickeries that Monto did :)

Basically what I'm saying if you want granular control, you're going to need more than just OBS. You need an editor.

Onihag

Reaction score
That helped me out TREMENDOUSLY. I didn't know about the tracks - I use Premiere pro to edit - and I knew there was some sort of trickery that I was missing. but all my audio went onto one track. I cant even TELL you how much this makes me life easier.

Big kuddos!

Reactions: zerocache