US tax withholding query

Panky

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to give me any advice regarding the adsense US Tax witholding.

So my channel has been monetized now for 4 months where I have been paying US tax witholding on my income. However I didn't realise that being from the UK, we had a treaty with the US meaning we don't need to pay the witholding tax.

I have since updated my tax information within adsense, but mt query I was hoping to find an answer to is;
Is there a way that I can claim back the previous 4 months of US tax witholding that I have paid up until now or is it lost to the tax man?

Many thanks in advance

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
You can't get the money "back" as far as I understand.
My understanding is that it depends on what agreement the UK tax office has with the USA tax office. You will need to talk to your UK tax accountant on that maybe get some sort of credit for the tax that was paid on that income in the USA to avoid double taxing that same income ... or something like that.

Reactions: Panky

Panky

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Unfortunately due to YouTube being a relatively new business model, every accountant I speak to seem somewhat clueless as to how to it works!
I do know that the UK and the US have a tax treaty and that now we have input our tax information we shouldn't get charged with the US tax witholding going forward.

Prior to this month, I have been pretty clueless to the YouTube game so didn't know about the tax implications on adsense.

I'm assuming that if we can not get the money back from past months, we should be able to wrote the money off as tax a write-off, but I would prefer that we be able to recieve the money paid out from the last 4 months.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am in Australia and re- submitted my tax information declaring it was previously incorrect, as I had not ticked the bottom two bullet points and filled in the data regarding copyright. I was therefore being taxed for those two points when an existing treaty was in place for reduced tax rate.

After re-submission the two previous tax withholding amounts were refunded to me as a matter of course.

So yes, if you have indicated you made a mistake and have filled in all three bullet points you should get a credit/refund for each witholding month in Adsense, same as me. It is clearly indicated as a separate amount for the month in each case.

Cheers Rob

Dave Nick

Reaction score
I'm Dave Nick from Los Angeles, CA USA,but popularly known as investor plus, one of the famous YouTuber and blogger I help to educate people all over the world on how make money online and grow thier YouTube channels and online business about competitors in the same brand online, dm me on Google hangouts davenick78@gmail.com for more info