Trailer without autoplay?

NathanielGE

I've Got It
When a new visitor clicks on your channel, it does look a lot nicer when there a video at the top for them to click on.

Does anybody know a way to have this video there, but just as a big shiny option to click and not autoplay?

The thing I don't like is the fact that it autoplays. I always pause peoples channel trailers straight away. Im pretty sure it hurts your retention when everybody is stopping your 'trailer' after a few seconds. They may then also leave your page instead of looking at what videos you have.

And when I say trailer, im just talking about featuring your most recent video as the 'channel trailer'.

If you don't have one the top of the page looks a bit empty. It doesn't seem you can have the 'what to watch next' section for new visitors.. :/

I've done a lot of searching and it seems its not possible but maybe somebody here knows something that I missed.

I have a featured video for people new to my channel. For this, you can click view channel, then "for returning subscribers," then there's an edit function you can click and it says "choose a playlist or video to feature here." It's not exactly the same as a trailer, but it's at the top of the page and doesn't autoplay. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1460467899,1460467838][/DOUBLEPOST]Just realized that's not for new visitors. D'oh!

I have a featured video for people new to my channel. For this, you can click view channel, then "for returning subscribers," then there's an edit function you can click and it says "choose a playlist or video to feature here." It's not exactly the same as a trailer, but it's at the top of the page and doesn't autoplay. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1460467899,1460467838][/DOUBLEPOST]Just realized that's not for new visitors. D'oh!

haha yeah kinda weird :/

If people are stopping your trailer video, then you are not grabbing their attention the first 3-5 seconds. Look at the average watch time retention of your trailer. Anything higher than 40% is good! 35% is still okay.

I get what you mean but in my case it's not an actual trailer, just the most recent video. Its not really that anybody is stopping it, it just feels like tricking people into views.

But I think what I was asking for can't be done.

Best thing is to work on an actual trailer I guess.

I get what you mean but in my case it's not an actual trailer, just the most recent video. Its not really that anybody is stopping it, it just feels like tricking people into views.

But I think what I was asking for can't be done.

Best thing is to work on an actual trailer I guess.

Well first, yeah you should probably work on an actual trailer because that's what the autoplay video is meant for

But also, never ever have the mentality that your videos are tricking people for views. As someone whose been in sales and marketing for years, this mentality will harm you in the long run. Instead, always see your videos, products or whatever content you make as exchanging values. You are providing value for the audience in exchange for their precious time/money. Not trying to attack you, just my two sense :)

Back