Three point lighting

LiveLoopers

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
One thing I see in a lot of vlogging or selfie videos is no attention paid to lighting. Lighting is one of the easiest ways one can make vast improvements to the look of their videos. And in videos with a single subject (yourself) lighting can be especially easy to do. It really can be as simple as borrowing two lamps from another room and learning how to position them.

I would advise anyone interested in learning how to just type in a search for three point lighting in wikipedia or do a YouTube search for it. There are plenty of tutorials out there.

Learning how to properly place a back light somewhere to help separate you from the background can make for a huge improvement.

Reactions: piniki

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
This is very true and something that should be paid more attention too. Lighting is a very important factor to any video on youtube that involves filming something. Good lighting can be used to create an absolutely brilliant quality video from a crappy camera.

An example is of this amazing little short film, filmed entirely using the Iphone 4s! Well worth a watch just to show what good lighting can do :)

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
This is very true and something that should be paid more attention too. Lighting is a very important factor to any video on youtube that involves filming something. Good lighting can be used to create an absolutely brilliant quality video from a crappy camera.

An example is of this amazing little short film, filmed entirely using the Iphone 4s! Well worth a watch just to show what good lighting can do :)

woot go film riot :D[DOUBLEPOST=1413724280][/DOUBLEPOST]I agree, I don't usually take care of lighting as much as I should but I do try to make it look nice and even a ring light can make it look a lot nicer :)

KitKat_Paddywack

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
Do you reckon it needs high quality lighting to make it look good or will three reasonable lamps work just as well (I'm broke as hell)

LAN Party

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer

That's a really impressive video.

@OP Lighting is definitely something I need to work on....

nicoyun

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is something I need to learn better >o< I can only manage to get good lighting when its bright outside otherwise its quite difficult. May just look at up and see if its possible with the resources I currently have.

echoraven

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I picked up a lighting kit on ebay for about $80. Had 3 umbrella lights (with 45 watt bulbs), a frame with fabric for white, black and chroma key backgrounds and clamps to hold the fabric in place. I upgraded the bulbs a few months later to double the power...

forever4

Super Poster
Reaction score
I tried to record myself the first time with a Nikon last week. I didn't really use any special lighting, just sit by the window and the result was pretty good!

Animazing

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
What if the only possibility is to film in your room and there is not enough space to do three point lighting. I've been experimenting but it still looks a little weird sometimes and I just have no clue what to do..