Thoughts on the adpocalypse 2020?

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have no thoughts whatsoever on the adpocalypse other than "Welcome to the Real World."

See, there's an issue I've always had in terms of the response to stuff like this. The current narrative is , "Woe is me; I'm just a humble small time creator trying to make a living." The problem with this line of thinking is that no matter how big or small you are, if you're planning on making a living from your videos, you're a publisher/broadcaster. Therefore, you're subject to the same rules as any other, especially when it comes to content that could be viewed by children.

At no time in history has anyone ever had it easy when it comes to this kind of stuff. The comic book industry and Saturday morning cartoons were also heavily regulated and had to deal with hits to their bottom line. So, why should any small time creator be any different?
Legions of other sites are doing exactly the same thing as YouTube is doing, and have been doing so for years. They all track users, and some of those users are going to be below 13 without a doubt. YouTube is patching holes and making sure it stays within compliance for everything new that is discovered. Being copyright or this latest thing, COPPA. Thinking things are going to be any different on a new platform is absolutely wishful thinking. YouTube is top dog, and will remain so forever. They are connected to Google, and literally too big to fail.

Last round it was small content creators (1000 subscribers and 4000 hours and rampant not suitable for advertisers after "suicide forest" ring a bell?)
This time it is kid centric channels. And unfortunately bad actors are to blame here just like the previous round. Adults abusing children for monetary gain absolutely got the government involved. The child directed channels ("toy" review channels clearly directed at a 13 and up audience) will be the ones suffering. The bad actors have gotten their millions out of the platform and will simply call it quits and move on to find another cash cow.
Yeah, pretty much this.
And for people saying they will switch platforms - remember these are government rules, not YouTube rules. All platforms big enough to get any attention, will have to comply with the same rules. It will take some adjustment, but such is life.

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Not LBRY.
Exactly... as I said "big enough to get any attention"... If lbry gets big enough to get any real attention, you can be sure copyright lawyers will shut them down, just like they did with napster. Peer to peer will likely never pay as much as real advertisers either. YouTube, being Google, is the major platform choice, and will be for the foreseeable future. A p2p site is not going to be a YT killer.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Exactly... as I said "big enough to get any attention"... If lbry gets big enough to get any real attention, you can be sure copyright lawyers will shut them down, just like they did with napster. Peer to peer will likely never pay as much as real advertisers either. YouTube, being Google, is the major platform choice, and will be for the foreseeable future. A p2p site is not going to be a YT killer.
I mean, LBRY doesn't need to be, YouTube is doing a fine job killing itself. That's the whole problem.

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yet another issue Youtube is dealing with after the fact. They have done NOTHING proactive, it is always reactive. There is no way this platform exists if Google isnt pouring money into it every day. With the money they have, I find it AMAZING they cant find ONE person who has their head somewhere outside the orifice of their bunghole to at least run the platform correctly... heck, I'd be happy with someone running the platform, somewhat unsatisfactory!

Do you think this is another poorly Public Relations by Youtube and little will change in regards to the platform, or will there be massive deletions and chaos? If its the latter, than I wonder about YT's future... I couldn't imagine basing my lively hood on this platform, following their rules and then one day they change their terms of service and BLAMO... It's gone. There will be massive and plentiful class action lawsuits, etc. I know I would be on the horn with my lawyer.

Reactions: markkaz

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
$42k fine for violating such a vague set of standards is pretty scary.
I guess I’m just going to wait and see how it gets enforced. I don’t feel my content targets children but I know I have fans that are children.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
$42k fine for violating such a vague set of standards is pretty scary.
I guess I’m just going to wait and see how it gets enforced. I don’t feel my content targets children but I know I have fans that are children.
The main problem is YouTube thinking your channel is for kids despite what you say.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The main problem is YouTube thinking your channel is for kids despite what you say.
Correct me if I'm wrong but what happens if I mark my whole channel as kid friendly? Will I be fined if the FTC finds a video they think isn't kid friendly? The only thing the FTC chairman said was the fines would be if they found a video to be kid friendly when you marked it as not for kids doesn't mention the other way around. I don't curse in my videos and make good clean comedy.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Correct me if I'm wrong but what happens if I mark my whole channel as kid friendly? Will I be fined if the FTC finds a video they think isn't kid friendly? The only thing the FTC chairman said was the fines would be if they found a video to be kid friendly when you marked it as not for kids doesn't mention the other way around. I don't curse in my videos and make good clean comedy.
The downside of your channel being kid friendly is you're gonna lose comments and your subs won't be able to get notified when you got a new video up or add you to their playlist. You'll make your channel that much harder to find. That's the reason actual kid channels are freaking out, there goes their livelihood.

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
As I understand it. The fine is for making videos that target children but are marked as not targeting children.
wether it’s acceptable for children isn’t what the fine is for...
so if you mark them as targeting children you avoid the risk of fine (as I understand it) however there will be other consequences: fewer ads, no comments, no end screen links, YouTube won’t recommend your video.

Reactions: atomicgirl24