The secrets of getting a GLOBAL VIEWERSHIP

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
I've spent a lot of time wondering about why certain videos manage to separate themselves from the pack. I released two fairly similar videos last summer on the same date. The title is almost exactly the same (except for "part 1" and "part 2"), the thumbnails are almost the same, the channel is the exact same, the running time is almost the same, same actors in both. They are both part of the same story.

But one of the videos has 5 times more views than the other--and it's part 2, not part 1!

At first I just assumed it was because the more popular video had a little more action and humor up front, whereas the other one took a little more warming up before it really got going. But as the distance in views between the two videos grew larger and larger, I did some more study of the analytics and found out something interesting.

The more popular video has a much larger foreign audience, whereas the less popular video is getting most of its views from English-speaking countries.

Now that I've re-watched my videos with the sound turned down, taking dialogue out of the equation. The more popular video makes sense even without dialogue, and works better visually.

I think this is key for getting that global audience--overcoming the language barrier, being more visual. If you can make a video that anyone in the world can understand regardless of language, you have that much more of an audience available.

I'm going to keep this in mind for my future videos when I can--it's tough to avoid doing a lot of talking for reviews, but there's at least one unboxing channel out there with no dialog at all, and guess what, it has a HUGE amount of views.

Now, for a gaming walkthrough channel, it's hard not to have a lot of dialogue, right? And the visuals are going to be pretty similar from one gaming video to the next. But what else comes across even if you don't understand the language? The emotional reactions of the game player. Suddenly it makes a lot more sense as to who is the most popular gaming YouTuber: Pewdiepie. That guy wears his emotions on his sleeve (and his face, and voice, sometimes his whole body!) No one is going to call him reserved. You always know exactly how he feels, and even if he annoys you, he's interesting to watch. People can relate to that, even if they don't like the video game, they like the way he's reacting to the video game. He's speaking a language that goes beyond the words.

So, long story short, my two tips making your videos more global-friendly:
1. Use imagery instead of dialogue whenever possible.
2. Make an connection with your viewers by showing more emotion.

Something to think about.

I agree with almost everything you said, a lot of my subscribers aren't actually well versed in english, but some of the humor in my videos can be understood even if you don't know exactly what were saying.

This thread should be stickied.

Great points, nice article. :) Thinking about it I appreciate the type of my channel even more - music is an universal "language" and showing your emotions is a huge factor.

I agree, nice post, and as a qualified teacher of English to non-native speakers, I can confirm that what you say is true.

When people don't understand 100% of what is being said, then images and visualization become more important. Facial expressions too because someone who doesn't speak the language very well will be watching the person's face a lot more than a native speaker. Speaking a little bit slower and with less complicated English go a long way too. Oh and don't forget you can also add closed captions to a video and you advertise that in the video title and/or description (plus the video will have "CC" next to it)

It's frustrating. You have one successful video and you want to build on that and you make a BETTER video and it flops. I think a lot of it is just dumb luck, unfortunately.

Hmm nice tips. How about if you make same videos on other languages as well as englishwould that work better?
I'm thinking that would probably not be worth the work, but honestly I don't know for certain. It might be interesting to try.

If China would ever let YouTube back on, I'd definitely want a piece of that country!

Very good advice, especially about the facial expressions. I CC all my videos in English (for the deft) they have to eat too and in Spanish. So of course I've been getting lot of my subscribers are from Spanish speaking countries.

I'm thinking that would probably not be worth the work, but honestly I don't know for certain. It might be interesting to try.

If China would ever let YouTube back on, I'd definitely want a piece of that country!

oh youtube is banned in china? i didnt now thats nice thanks i will make next video on this !!! i have perfect solution.. thanks

oh youtube is banned in china? i didnt now thats nice thanks i will make next video on this !!! i have perfect solution.. thanks
Yes China blocked YouTube in 2009. I have a small handful of views in China according to YouTube analytics but they either pre-date the ban, or were done legally in China by government officials.

Back