Talking Head vs Animated Videos - What Do You Prefer?

HappyHippo

Reaction score
Yes, I am the champion of the world when it comes to procrastination, but I still dare to ask the question.
Which type of videos should I create
* talking head with little animation (screenshots, images, but mostly me appearing on the screen)
* 2-D animation with videoscribe.
My niche is education.

Hey, why don't you ask your subscribers, you might ask!
Great question. I'm just starting out and I've tried both. Just cannot make the right decision.
Maybe you could share your thoughts.
Say, you'd like to learn something new like "how to get happier", would you prefer to watch an enthusiastic person speaking for 10 minutes, or a well-aminated 2-d video? Let's assume, the script is just the same.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the planning forum.

I think the more "personal" a video is, the better it will do. In a "talking head" video, people can see you, you can give your credentials and life experiences, anecdotes and people can see your face and eyes and it's more authentic than an automatd animation video.

IMHO. :)

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Really depends on waht niche you want to sit in. Personally I love animated videos and actually find them easier to follow then when a person is just talking. However, it takes a lot of time to produce a fully animated video, so you can probably have a higher output if you only animated about 50% of your video and have the rest be regular talking to camera. There is no right or wrong with this though. Just present your content as you want it to be. If you like being on camera, do a presentation style video. If you love animating, make animation videos. If you like both, combine the two :) Just find a format YOU like doing, because that's how you'll endure doing it for a long time.

HappyHippo

Reaction score
Thanx for your comments, I do appreciate.
Can I share with you some examples?
These are two videos from very popular YouTuber channels. So, I don't think I spam or promote them.
Just an example of what I mean.
Say, you want to make a review of a book. Pretty serious topic.
The first way is to make a video like this
The second one is

What would I prefer? I don't even know. In my opinion, animated videos are more shareable, talking head videos are more personal. I like both.

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
I think making a book review would probably be better as a talking head vid, but it depends on what you want to do, really.

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Looking at those 2 examples - the first one lost my interest in the first 20 seconds. Actually it never had it. The 2nd one (talking head) had a good intro and would have gotten my attention... if it was a book I was interested in.