Start a New Channel? Or Resurrect a 10 Year Old One?

roly

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've been randomly posting videos to youtube for 10 years. Just as a hobby, I was never trying to build a brand or anything, maybe 30 videos in 10 years.

Now I have an idea for a channel, and want to do it right, crank out videos, all around the same theme. Brand it, make it pretty, run it like a business with the goal of someday being able to make a living this way.

Does it make sense to start a FRESH channel, or use the one I have? Do I get some sort of benefit from having a "Seasoned" youtube account? I just don't want to fall into a common trap, if there is one, and do it the wrong way.

The current channel has 106 subscribers. That doesn't seem like a compelling reason to keep the channel, not a big number.

The current channel is just my name. I don't want the new channel to be my name. So I guess if the name can't be changed, that's reason enough right there.

Also, one final thing... The last video I uploaded to the current channel was a boring, vlog about weightloss. Not exciting, but it's only had 5 views! In 3 months! I'm worried something is wrong with the channel?? Last time I posted a boring a** video I still got at least a couple hundred views.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the strategies / technique advice forum section. :)

Reactions: roly

Biscuit

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The channel at least has a start, so you should keep it. You can change the name and filter out comments. And you can also take videos out of the public and private eye by making the videos private. Then only people you choose can see the video. That's what I did to my first video, a really crappy intro.

Reactions: LandyVlad

Brett Hornby

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I've kept mine and changed the name. Created my account back in 2010 to upload some videos as storage and let it just sit there. Then in 2018 I've took my channel out of the mothballs and uploaded all my videos over a few weeks I've created and originally posted on my personal Facebook page. Then took the whole thing more seriously and continued to upload my content with a particular niche. Good that I still have my older videos on my channel. If you don't have much content to begin with it wouldn't matter too much to keep existing channel or put it on a new one. Figure just change the name and update a few things is suffice as you already have the videos there. Shared my personal experience.

Giz Edwards

Reaction score
Website
www.clipshare.co.uk
To me, the point that you are asking is because you know the answer...

The only thing that having an account with 100 subs on is good for is the fact that after 100 you can change the username.

I get the impression that you want to start fresh. However, my advice is to not bother. As you mentioned the content that you have posted hasn't performed well. So it will not make any difference for your search-ability.

Put the current content private. As continue as new. Do not be surprised to see a drop in subscribers when you start posting content. Most people are not aware of who they are subscribed to, therefore they unsubscribe when something new is released.

The fact that this is a channel with 100 subs or 0 subs does not make a difference when self promoting your content.

Hope that helps at all?

Reactions: LandyVlad

roly

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful. I ended up keeping the channel, and all it's original content. I moved it to a brand account and renamed it.

After 4 months of posting content, I gained 6 whole subscribers. SIX!

I did research on my peers in the space and realized the niche I was going after, does not have much mass appeal at all. I also realized I'm essentially Vlogging. So I renamed the channel to....... My name! lol, which is what it was called origninally!

I uploaded 14 videos in 4 months, sticking to my 1 a week goal. The 6 subscribers I added is..... pathetic! I don't know what's going on there. I did all the usual stuff I see other people doing, cards at the end, asking people to subscribe. Just abysmal.

My views in the most recent 28 day period are up 940% from the 28 days before my first post! And my watch time is up 20-FOLD from before. So that's moving along, but the subscriber count is just TERRIBLE. It's going to be YEARS before I'm eligible to monetize at this rate.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just abysmal
love this word
subscriber count is just TERRIBLE. It's going to be YEARS before I'm eligible to monetize at this rate
It's hard to tell atm but I feel that sub count is very important to you. YEARS is an excellent estimate, congrats on discovering this, now you can truly move forward.

btw, make it easy to find your channel, put a link under name(age) as seen under mine to the LEFT of this msg - read my signature on HOW TO below this msg

GoetzSaCebu

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I reactivated my 14 year old channel this last august. Started in 2006 uploaded some partyvideos back then.
Then after 2 years abandoned it.....

Now I looked and had 40subs BUT all these old videos were still generationg 400-500 minutes viewtime each month.
So I just let them continue to do that while I restart my channel.

Reactions: roly