Split the channel or keep it Centralized?

XTREEMMAK

Hey all I hope you can help me,

So I'm trying to figure out how to provide more value to my brand. I primarily do music content but I'm having a hard time with fan engagement and reaching true fans (across all social, not just YouTube unfortunately). From what I've learned and researched, I've somewhat concluded that its attributed to the WAY I present the audio based content (primarily visualizers or sometimes with game footage where available) which in turn, does not really create an experience to engage with. Thus I figured the content might do better with a performance aspect to it aka a story to the music, or an actual performance with moving subjects or people. I'm working on this but naturally this takes time and sometimes, more money (the other problem is the value of the like or sub, but I'm not getting into that right now).

I also blend my channel with other things I do; a little game streaming, some voice acting, and an update news "vlog" of sorts on what I'm up to aka some travel things I've done, etc. All this just to enhance the experience around myself instead of "what I'm selling". But I feel this might be working against me now.

What has been said in many places is to niche out. Traditionally I had a problem with the idea of hard nicheing with all my content considering the little attention I have as a brand right now; I felt like spreading it too far would be detrimental. In turn though (so I don't have too broad of an offering), I have kept what I do to a minimal (I've done tech reviews and home automation stuff on another channel, but I decided to leave it out on this one). All the other content is separated with playlists, but I fear that it's not enough. In the end, I feel I'm suffering from the old ideology: "Trying to please everyone, please no one".

Why am I considering separating the content? Because on my other channel, I've gotten videos in the 86k range. What concerns me though is that if I do separate the content, then that means that I have to have the same qualitative output for the reviews as I do the music which takes me away from what I really want to do; the music content. More time needed to produce each video, another user base with IT'S own ideology separate (maybe) from my music user base, etc.

*sigh* With that said, even if my other content is in a playlist, is it a good idea to split my content as a young, under 100 sub YouTube channel to take advantage of the potential that possibly exists from doing product reviews as an extension to my brand, or is it better to concentrate my time in enhancing my existing offering and just finding more ways to make more with what I have, possibly even combining the reviews and other "techy" based stuff on this channel but in its own playlist?

Sorry for the long post ^_^

Sorry if I misunderstood your post, but what I'm getting out of it is you're asking if you should separate a channel solely for tech, or you should just add those tech videos to your under 100 sub channel as a separate playlist. Also, you're saying that your tech reviews are getting lots of traffic, but you prefer music. And sticking to both channels will take too much time and effort to handle.

If I hopefully got that right, what I'd recommend, is to split the channels. Or maybe just try sticking to one? I don't really know the music side of YouTube as well as the tech side, but I'd say they're both kind of saturated in competition, so maybe you would still get about the same growth for both channels? Sticking to both channels at the same time most likely will affect your channel growth as creating content will take a long time (as you said), and that wouldn't be ideal.

I guess you might have to end your other channel if you're extremely passionate about creating music, and if you do, you could try giving your new channel a shoutout from your other one. You will definitely lose a huge chunk of fans, but who knows maybe some will like your new content? (Your music is pretty nice). Maybe another alternative could be creating tech reviews that are really close to music to compensate for the lack of viewers. Such as reviewing microphones, headphones, or speakers. I guess that could be how you would stand out?

Well, I hope this helped you out, and good luck with your decision!

Having two channels myself, it is much more logistically viable to split.
I had the same dilemma back when creating my second (and now, currently, main) channel IGM Productions.
As I started out on YouTube with a gaming channel in 2012, I grew that to a sizable audience and as my education progressed into professional media (of sorts) - I wanted to do short films and edits and film analysis and such.
I found it easier from a branding point of view as well as a niche point of view to split. It provided me with two different channels for different things. It makes the organisation of video production a lot easier too. It also means I have a different channel to satisfy the different fan bases (as small as they may be).

Back