[SONY VEGAS] How to do linear wipe effect.

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Linear wipe is this effect:

You may have seen it in montages or highlights from popular YouTube, and I'm going to tell you it is extremely easy to do.

First we're going to import a clip into Sony Vegas, in my case this Minecraft clip, if you have a second clip import it too, but my clip is one whole and all I'm doing is splitting it up.

1.jpg

So I have a long bit of no speech from me, so I'm going to split were it starts and stops and delete it. I'm then going to move the second half below the first half, like so:

2.jpg

Next I'm going to import a good woosh sound, I got mine from here: https://www.freesound.org/people/Hitrison/sounds/216675/

*You will need to create an account, it's not too hard and you gain access to tons of other effects.

And import it into Vegas, I'm going to align the end of it with the end of the first half of the video and click on the video of the second half and press U to unlink it with the audio, I'm then going to align the start of the second half with the start of the sound effect.

3.jpg

Then I'm going to go to Vegas' Transitions and go to Linear Wipe and pull it over to the end of the first video, you should get this window, you can adjust the angle if you want, feature is how soft the edge is, mess around with them if you please.

4.jpg

Now just align the start of the linear wipe with the start of the woosh effect.

5.jpg

Once you do that you should end up with something like the video above. If this helped you, considering clicking that like button beside quote. Have a nice day.

Reactions: ~ZERO

BlazingMenace

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What's cool about Vegas (im using 11) is that you can really almost perfectly align the transition and choose how fast it goes by zooming into your tracks and working with your timeline. Watching your audio track for the sound waves can help a ton as well.

Gibbz

Reaction score
Nice tutorial, I looking to also get better at editing in Vegas my self. I can do basic stuff but I want to learn how to actually edit and create good content with it.

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
How many NLEs have you tried? If Sony Vegas is the best, why are professional films not edited using it?
sony vegas is definitley the best editing program..
Premier in my opinion is actually better, if I had used that from the start my videos would probably be better.

Last21Child

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is a great tutorial, thank you so so so much!!