So this is just a conversation I want to have with you guys :)

StraightUpIrish

Super Poster
Ok so this is just a chat I want to have for two reasons:
1.I want to get to know people better of course :P
2.I want other peoples views, brutally honest views now :) no holding back I won't judge.

There is a youtuber I would assume a lot of you know called Boogie2988. You might know him a bit better for his problems with obesity :) I have recently become a big fan and you know, it nearly breaks me down into tears seeing what people comment. And the likes these comments receive. I know in many of his videos, he says he ignores haters and it doesn't bother him and what not but for godsake I just hate it!It hurts me?It's bullying from keyboard monkeys with no life!No emotion!No thought on what he actually feels in response to the horrific comments!

This isn't just a problem for him though. I know many don't like PewDiePie. Personally I think he is a great guy but I don't watch his videos. How does he cope with people wanting him dead?Yeah the fame is great and all but he does such a good job of ignoring the horrible things youtube bully's throw at him.

This is probably a stupid rant and I apoligise if this is in the wrong forum or what not :) I just want to know your opinions on the way people can actually treat another human being like that :)
 
From behind the safety of relative anonymity, a monitor, and with a keyboard at their disposal, people can say the most horrendous things without much fear of consequences. Would they say those things in person? No, of course not. The internet is, unfortunately though, an entirely different environment from the real world. The majority of these people probably don't even really want him dead (those that do must have real issues they need to deal with), and they only say these things because everyone else does, so it's just posturing.

I'm speaking, by the way, mainly about Boogie, because the types of comments he receives are much different from those that PewDiePie does.

So anyways, my "opinion" is that this kind of stuff is horrible, and it's unfortunate, however it's just the nature of the beast that is not just YouTube, but the internet as a whole.
 
From behind the safety of relative anonymity, a monitor, and with a keyboard at their disposal, people can say the most horrendous things without much fear of consequences. Would they say those things in person? No, of course not. The internet is, unfortunately though, an entirely different environment from the real world. The majority of these people probably don't even really want him dead (those that do must have real issues they need to deal with), and they only say these things because everyone else does, so it's just posturing.

I'm speaking, by the way, mainly about Boogie, because the types of comments he receives are much different from those that PewDiePie does.

So anyways, my "opinion" is that this kind of stuff is horrible, and it's unfortunate, however it's just the nature of the beast that is not just YouTube, but the internet as a whole.
The next Robert Frost right here :P it makes sense what you say and I suppose its just something we will never be able to fix :)
 
The next Robert Frost right here :p it makes sense what you say and I suppose its just something we will never be able to fix :)

Hahaha, I just don't have much to do at work right now :P And yeah, it's unfortunate and sad, but with all the amazing stuff the internet has been able to give us, there was always bound to be some downsides, and the rise of cyberbullying is right up there.

The most we can do is just give our support to those affected, and let them know that we're here for them :)
 
Hahaha, I just don't have much to do at work right now :p And yeah, it's unfortunate and sad, but with all the amazing stuff the internet has been able to give us, there was always bound to be some downsides, and the rise of cyberbullying is right up there.

The most we can do is just give our support to those affected, and let them know that we're here for them :)
Well I like to think PewDiePie doesn't care with you know, nearly 40 million supporters and Boogie standing strong at 2 million :) when me and you become big, we now know in advance.We must smite all haters :P
 
@mercmonster is on the right track, but even without the consequences, that doesn't explain why they would want to in the first place. There are no consequences for me if I scoop out all the water of a puddle and pour it into another puddle. But that doesn't explain why I would do it. It is pointless. I suppose the reason people want to attack someone like Boogie could be related to his success and disgust at someone who looks like that being liked more than they are. There is a desire to tear them down and return balance to the world. But they'd also do it to someone with a small channel, I'm sure, so having a popular channel isn't all of it. Some people just like to throw rocks through windows. Some men just want to watch the world burn. Some people just want to dislike a video because there is a "0" under the thumb down button.

I suppose it is sort of related to when you and someone else are standing near a ledge. There is this thought that you could easily push them and kill them. You'd never want to, especially if you like the person at all, but you still entertain the idea. Our everyday doesn't put us in life and death situations like it does for people in the movies, so when we are put in such a situation, we feel much closer to the boundary between that fictional world of high stakes and reality, especially when it would be so effortless to affect so much change. Now imagine there is no consequence to crossing that line. You can shove your brother over the edge and wake up the next day to everything being fine, like in Groundhog Day. How many people, even the best people you know, would be nearly as civil if nothing they did carried over to the next day?

I've known people who used to cut themselves with knives. Sure, part of it was to cause harm to themselves because they hated the life they were in and, as a result, themselves, but part of it was also to feel something intense. They felt such strong emotions every day that they began to be emotionally numb and needed something "stronger" to relieve them of the sensory deprivation they were experiencing. Pain was the strongest sensation they could readily and reliably summon, so that's what they turned to. I imagine in a similar vein, some people have a need to have an impact on the world around them. Since people react more strongly to negativity and it also requires the least effort, that is what they turn to. Coupled with the fact that there is no lasting consequence for them since they never have to see them again, it just becomes a knee-jerk reaction. For some it may be that they have a very weak ability to empathize, so with the barrier of the internet shielding them from the normal feedback of face-to-face human interaction, they don't feel anything more than when they kill a character in a video game and so it is like the Groundhog Day scenario. For others, though, it may be the sharp sting of guilt of humiliating someone that gives them the rush they are craving, as well as the sense of security they feel in the idea that rebelling against social etiquette means they are independent and thus can't be hurt.
 
@mercmonster is on the right track, but even without the consequences, that doesn't explain why they would want to in the first place. There are no consequences for me if I scoop out all the water of a puddle and pour it into another puddle. But that doesn't explain why I would do it. It is pointless. I suppose the reason people want to attack someone like Boogie could be related to his success and disgust at someone who looks like that being liked more than they are. There is a desire to tear them down and return balance to the world. But they'd also do it to someone with a small channel, I'm sure, so having a popular channel isn't all of it. Some people just like to throw rocks through windows. Some men just want to watch the world burn. Some people just want to dislike a video because there is a "0" under the thumb down button.

I suppose it is sort of related to when you and someone else are standing near a ledge. There is this thought that you could easily push them and kill them. You'd never want to, especially if you like the person at all, but you still entertain the idea. Our everyday doesn't put us in life and death situations like it does for people in the movies, so when we are put in such a situation, we feel much closer to the boundary between that fictional world of high stakes and reality, especially when it would be so effortless to affect so much change. Now imagine there is no consequence to crossing that line. You can shove your brother over the edge and wake up the next day to everything being fine, like in Groundhog Day. How many people, even the best people you know, would be nearly as civil if nothing they did carried over to the next day?

I've known people who used to cut themselves with knives. Sure, part of it was to cause harm to themselves because they hated the life they were in and, as a result, themselves, but part of it was also to feel something intense. They felt such strong emotions every day that they began to be emotionally numb and needed something "stronger" to relieve them of the sensory deprivation they were experiencing. Pain was the strongest sensation they could readily and reliably summon, so that's what they turned to. I imagine in a similar vein, some people have a need to have an impact on the world around them. Since people react more strongly to negativity and it also requires the least effort, that is what they turn to. Coupled with the fact that there is no lasting consequence for them since they never have to see them again, it just becomes a knee-jerk reaction. For some it may be that they have a very weak ability to empathize, so with the barrier of the internet shielding them from the normal feedback of face-to-face human interaction, they don't feel anything more than when they kill a character in a video game and so it is like the Groundhog Day scenario. For others, though, it may be the sharp sting of guilt of humiliating someone that gives them the rush they are craving, as well as the sense of security they feel in the idea that rebelling against social etiquette means they are independent and thus can't be hurt.
Dude.You are the bees knees you have literally touched my souls XD you just basically summarized....well everything!Dark and deep man.Thanks for replying :)
 
It's just people not actually thinking about their words. They think that it's okay because they're saying it to someone famous and behind a computer. The creators usually just ignore it. They're probably used to it and just don't care anymore because they know the threats are empty
 
It's just people not actually thinking about their words. They think that it's okay because they're saying it to someone famous and behind a computer. The creators usually just ignore it. They're probably used to it and just don't care anymore because they know the threats are empty
Keyboard monkeys :3 I hate them haha.
No problem. Human behavior, besides being a good Bjork song, is fascinating to me.
Big time sensuality way better ;)
 
Back
Top