Showing face in videos, yay or nay?

Do you cover your face? (for IRL Content Creators)

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Poondeh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Hey! I'm thinking of getting back into YouTube and doing more in real life content but I'm at a dilemma.
I don't show my face in my videos, and feel self conscious about my appearance. But I feel there can be a disconnect by wearing sun glasses and a crappy face mask when making videos.

I'd like to do review style content mixed with humour but I feel delivery of jokes could fall flat without facial responses. Is there anybody else who hides their face for content, but still films in real life and how has that worked out for you?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hey! I'm thinking of getting back into YouTube and doing more in real life content but I'm at a dilemma.
I don't show my face in my videos, and feel self conscious about my appearance. But I feel there can be a disconnect by wearing sun glasses and a crappy face mask when making videos.

I'd like to do review style content mixed with humour but I feel delivery of jokes could fall flat without facial responses. Is there anybody else who hides their face for content, but still films in real life and how has that worked out for you?

I think a video is more personal when the creator shows his / her face but there are types of video and channel where it's not necessary (screenshots, animation, gaming etc). I think if a creator doesn't show his/her face, then he/she will need one of the following to make up for it:

- Excellent content (very informative or funny)
- A very good voice.

There are some excellent channels whose creators never show their faces. Check out GradeAUnderA ( https://www.youtube.com/user/GradeAUnderA ) - 3.5 million subs and 467 million views! Check out some of his videos - They're very simple but hilarious. :)

Reactions: SG6

The RAM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Anything can become funny with the right editing.

If you dont want to show your face, then dont show your face. But you will have to make up for it in some other way.

If you want to wear a mask, incorporate jokes that are about the mask, maybe why you wear it. Go back on yourself or change the reason.

Couldbe a good way to get people interested.If you keep changing the reason people will want to know why even more. They may even watch your videos more closely to find out why.

I think personally, its less about a good voice and more about how enthusiastic you are. There are some content creators who personally, I think, have annoying voices, but are very successful.

Ater

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
To me it depends on the video. If there is some sort of reaction I would like the face but otherwise mostly not since it can take attention from what's important.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
it took me a while to get on camera, very glad that step is over with, not the prettiest face either but it's not about other's opinions but you moving forward on a chosen path
you can try with mask/glasses/hats or low light in shadow type of appearance and just see how it goes

Essie Kelly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator

Hey. I think that it’s not particularly important for subscribers whether you show your face or not in the video. The main thing is that the content is interesting and the voice attracts the viewer. And when there will already be a certain amount of audience, you can open your face and add personal emotions to your content.