Reccomended updates and what ive noticed

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Lately (past couple of months) I've noticed youtube has been reccomending to me videos that are from years and years ago. I have not been dissapointed with any they have chosen so they must have excellent click through watchtime rates.
I know im not the only one too because the classic "youtube reccomended me this out of nowhere" comments are all over. But again lots of them positive and thanking the algorithm for bringing some great old vids to light.

Anyone else noticed this trend? Have any of your old vids gained from this?

Personally speaking things have been going up and up for me despite the huge wait for subs, thanks to reccomendations. And cause my content takes a stupidly long time to make, this benefits channels like mine greatly because you dont just have your 1 week window of opportunity then view death. Good evergreen content can come back at anytime regardless of views, and it makes it even more worthwhile to spend months on a video if it can bring your channel years of life.

Thoughts?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Lately (past couple of months) I've noticed youtube has been reccomending to me videos that are from years and years ago. I have not been dissapointed with any they have chosen so they must have excellent click through watchtime rates.
I know im not the only one too because the classic "youtube reccomended me this out of nowhere" comments are all over. But again lots of them positive and thanking the algorithm for bringing some great old vids to light.

Anyone else noticed this trend? Have any of your old vids gained from this?

Personally speaking things have been going up and up for me despite the huge wait for subs, thanks to reccomendations. And cause my content takes a stupidly long time to make, this benefits channels like mine greatly because you dont just have your 1 week window of opportunity then view death. Good evergreen content can come back at anytime regardless of views, and it makes it even more worthwhile to spend months on a video if it can bring your channel years of life.

Thoughts?

Hi, welcome back. :)

Is there a date from which you have noticed the jump in views? I'm wondering if this change in algorithm favouring old videos is what has caused the drop in views in the kids niche -> http://yttalk.com/threads/massive-drop-in-views-on-kid-channels.290739/

In other words, maybe the algorithm chnage is in fact across ALL niches but it's only the kids channels who are complaining about it lol. ^^

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Hi, welcome back. :)

Is there a date from which you have noticed the jump in views? I'm wondering if this change in algorithm favouring old videos is what has caused the drop in views in the kids niche -> http://yttalk.com/threads/massive-drop-in-views-on-kid-channels.290739/

In other words, maybe the algorithm chnage is in fact across ALL niches but it's only the kids channels who are complaining about it lol. ^^
Hiya! been a while but I miss the forum :D

im not sure, but I think something was shaken up a little by the looks of things...
graph capture 1.JPG
I did find something interesting though... blue is recommended, and purple is home
this all ended up being one individual video that temporarily pinged up - traffic sources were 99.5% due to home.

either way this does look to me like an algorithm update where the lines cross... but could just be me. I haven't uploaded once during that whole graph so this is as regular steady view wise you can get.

edit: also want to mention the video that was pinged, went from 1k a day to over 400k at once point and is from 27th oct 2014.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I honestly haven't looked at my statistics in a long time because I had been obsessing over them and thought I was going a bit overboard lol... But tomorrow I'm going to take a look! It'd be great news if the algorithm starts to promote videos that take a lot of effort to make! :)

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
i can confirm algorithm randomly promotes old videos even from 8 years ago and makes new videos have less traffic. it is biased towards old videos like it was 4-5 years ago. Not sure what is going on.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I am totally biased, but I think this is a good move. to be honest 9/10 of the old videos ive been recommended have been lower in views, and from small channels. those videos get a huge boost, and it really gives that creator a chance. It's also nice to know that if a video doesn't do well, it may be picked up years later, you just never know.

I would say don't be shy in promoting your old favourites of your uploads, just because they are older doesn't mean they have "missed their chance" forever, and the algorithm has been picking up random ones now for a while.

I subbed to a few new people because of this, channels I would have never found otherwise, some have really jumped in subs and views, and I couldn't be happier for them finally getting some traction on their hard work.

Reactions: KatyAdelson