Programs for Thumbnail Creation

GreyStreetGirl

Blue Haired Chubby Kid
Hello, friends! First let me say I apologize if this isn't in the correct spot. I wasn't sure whether or not I should put it here or in branding.

I wanted to know what program you all used to create thumbnails. I'm NOT GOOD at photo editing at all, and I usually use Ribbet by the end of things because I just get frustrated and give up. I have no idea how to use Photoshop or any of the fancy photo editors.

So, essentially, if you have any methods or tips for creating thumbnails for dummies, please share!

Free - Picmonkey, Canva & Gimp (basically a free Photoshop editor)
or search up on Youtube 'How to create thumbnail for free'

Basically what I do is, I screenshot a part of the video where it shows my face, then drag that into the program, cut off the background, add text etc.
Photoshop allows me to add an outline to my face or a glow, which isn't necessary.
Make sure your text is very BIG.
That's all I got.

I actually used Paint Shop Pro 9 for the longest time til it got corrupted on my new computer. The disc is gone so I switched to GIMP, which is great, but takes getting used to.

Canva.com - completely free and they have a template for YouTube thumbnails (and a lot of other social media posts).

i use photoshop now, but this is a FANTASTIC free option.

If you want great looking thumbnails use gimp or photoshop. there is a learning curve but at the same time it is worth it in the long run. If you want quick and easy go with Canva they give you everything right down to what colors go together.

While I don't create custom thumbnails for every video that I upload, I have used PhotoShop to make them in the past.

Now that Adobe offers monthly Creative Cloud subscriptions, you you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on a program up front, especially if you're not sure that you'll use it all the time. I personally subscribed to the "Photography" plan, which costs $9.99/month and includes Adobe Lightroom CC and Adobe PhotoShop CC (as well as a personal portfolio website), though I have only installed and used PhotoShop.

Adobe's website has more information regarding the different Creative Cloud plans available, including what programs and features are included, as well as what the costs of the different subscriptions options are.

While there may be a bit of a learning curve to PhotoShop (I'm not an expert by any means), it can be a pretty powerful program and has lots of features and tools that can be used. There are also a variety of tutorials available online, should you want to learn more about how to use the program.

the best for me was Panzoid on the web, quick and easy to use and sooooo simple! but also if you have a bit of spare time and you want half decent thumbnails. Photoshop is the one for you, super incredible to use! :D

I remember one of the guys I make videos with saying that people respond to seeing a face in a thumbnail better than one without.

Making sure people can read any text clearly is also important, seeing as so many people are viewing videos on phones it's necessary for the text to be SUPER clear even at a small size.

GIMP is a fairly decent free program so for just thumbnails I'd recommend that.

I am not good at that stuff either, nor do I have the money for photoshop. I just use generic stuff like paint (windows app) or paint.net. Just create a simple background using the bucket tool and add relevent (but also not copyrighted) transparent pictures. You can get them either off Google or just make you own in paint.net!
All you need to do to make your own is grab the photo you want to make transparent, open it in paint.net, then erase everything you DON'T want in the picture, and save. (make sure it's a .png file) Make multiple of these and slap'em together, It's easy!

Back