Percentage of time devoted to promotion vs. time devoted to actually making videos

TMBH

Nice Man
First of all, I'm enormously thankful for this forum. I've learned more here in a week than I have through all my research about how to develop my channel prior. Thanks in advance for you patience with my constant questions as well.

As I listen to what I'm hearing here I'm feeling like I need to be working much harder on promoting my channel. I've got nine videos up and I'm off to a nice start with my audience, but I've been putting mega hours into each video. Should I be doing less of that? With less than 200 subs and less than 2000 views would it be wiser for me to hit Reddit/FB/Twitter/forums with the bulk of my time?

Gracias,
Matt
 
First of all, I'm enormously thankful for this forum. I've learned more here in a week than I have through all my research about how to develop my channel prior. Thanks in advance for you patience with my constant questions as well.

As I listen to what I'm hearing here I'm feeling like I need to be working much harder on promoting my channel. I've got nine videos up and I'm off to a nice start with my audience, but I've been putting mega hours into each video. Should I be doing less of that? With less than 200 subs and less than 2000 views would it be wiser for me to hit Reddit/FB/Twitter/forums with the bulk of my time?

Gracias,
Matt
Yes and no. You need to optimize your time creating videos (mine don't take way too long, even when I have a ton of editing to do), and I think they turn out well. Taking a long time without results can be frustrating. Sometimes it's not about the time you put into editing, it's setting yourself up to capture the right moment. I'm not sure what you shoot as I haven't looked, so some of what I'm saying may not pertain to you. I shoot different types of videos than most people in here, so a lot of times my strategies won't work for others. I get a lot of views from posting to places, mostly Facebook and a couple other sites. Facebook is normally how I find the sites I post to though... If their main FB page doesn't notice my posts, I find their website and sometimes there are submit sections. Don't just blindly post on Facebook, find stuff that is relevant to what you do. I get a lot of views from dog pages because I have a lot of dog videos.... I don't go to "Youtube" forums because it's nothing but people sharing their own videos, nobody watches anything in there.
 
I looked at your stuff briefly and it's pretty good. Also, I noticed your channel isn't even a month old yet. Let the YouTube machine do it's thing. It takes a while for it suggest your video.

YouTube suggests your video to a few people and looks at what viewers do when they stumble on your videos. Based on how long they watch your videos, how much it contributes to session viewing time, engagement, etc., YouTube adjusts accordingly. If the viewer results look good then YouTube will suggest the video to a few more people. It's a big repeating cycle. The videos will pretty much self promote themselves within the YouTube system.

Promoting on the big social media sites might be a waste of time. I think you'll be better off promoting within some niche Christian and religious sites. You might be able to promote your stuff in person at your local church. This will at least bring in more initial viewers and get the ball rolling sooner.

Give it some time. It may take over 60 days before a video will start picking up a good number of views per day. Just keep making good videos. The views will come. 160 subs in about 20 days is pretty good.
 
I looked at your stuff briefly and it's pretty good. Also, I noticed your channel isn't even a month old yet. Let the YouTube machine do it's thing. It takes a while for it suggest your video.

YouTube suggests your video to a few people and looks at what viewers do when they stumble on your videos. Based on how long they watch your videos, how much it contributes to session viewing time, engagement, etc., YouTube adjusts accordingly. If the viewer results look good then YouTube will suggest the video to a few more people. It's a big repeating cycle. The videos will pretty much self promote themselves within the YouTube system.

Promoting on the big social media sites might be a waste of time. I think you'll be better off promoting within some niche Christian and religious sites. You might be able to promote your stuff in person at your local church. This will at least bring in more initial viewers and get the ball rolling sooner.

Give it some time. It may take over 60 days before a video will start picking up a good number of views per day. Just keep making good videos. The views will come. 160 subs in about 20 days is pretty good.
It took me 8 years to reach just over 550 subs...
 
I looked at your stuff briefly and it's pretty good. Also, I noticed your channel isn't even a month old yet. Let the YouTube machine do it's thing. It takes a while for it suggest your video.

YouTube suggests your video to a few people and looks at what viewers do when they stumble on your videos. Based on how long they watch your videos, how much it contributes to session viewing time, engagement, etc., YouTube adjusts accordingly. If the viewer results look good then YouTube will suggest the video to a few more people. It's a big repeating cycle. The videos will pretty much self promote themselves within the YouTube system.

Promoting on the big social media sites might be a waste of time. I think you'll be better off promoting within some niche Christian and religious sites. You might be able to promote your stuff in person at your local church. This will at least bring in more initial viewers and get the ball rolling sooner.

Give it some time. It may take over 60 days before a video will start picking up a good number of views per day. Just keep making good videos. The views will come. 160 subs in about 20 days is pretty good.
You've detected my ambition that occasionally manifests and impatience. Maybe the better word is enthusiasm -- I'm just unapologetically excited about this. I know I have a ton to learn and a ton of improving to do, but I really enjoy the video side and I'm passionate about my subject matter. I've decided that one way or another I'm in for 150 episodes (the entire book of Acts) so taking that longer view is probably the right thing to do.
Great suggestion about simply bringing it up at church. I think I can make that happen.
 
I think its equally important because if you have good content, but lacks promotion, no one will be able to see it. But if you have good promotion, there's a good chance that the people who will like it will see it.
 
Back
Top