Parody Is Fair Use, Satire Is Not

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
WatchMojo is making enough money from their channel to actually pay for rights; but under the newest YPP Policy roadblock which says that a creator must own 100% of their content, they may lose monetization if those rights are not exclusive; and in the case of their content type, I don't see how it could be.

Plautus123

Reaction score
can I use video content like from news and put on my voice for parody? Is that fair use?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I seriously doubt it; and if you are looking to monetize a channel, you would definitely not be able to do it with network broadcast content you can show no licensing for, or even web-based news content.

Plautus123

Reaction score
then how can I make parodies about talk shows or something????
Why are there so many channels that show film content etc. And they dont get any issues?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
First of all, what happens with other channels has no bearing on your own channel's situation or how YouTube treats your channel. That's like saying: "But Mr. X Robbed the bank and got away with it; why can't I do that too?"

The other channels simply may not have been caught yet, or they may have been caught and their videos claimed under Content ID; which means that all of the ad revenue those videos make goes to the copyright owner, not the channel owner. They also may have taken the proper path and obtained the necessary licensing. Let me give you a direct quote from YouTube's Terms Of Service.

"7.7 You agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain any third party copyright material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights (including rights of privacy or rights of publicity), unless you have a formal licence or permission from the rightful owner, or are otherwise legally entitled, to post the material in question and to grant YouTube the licence referred to in paragraph 8.1 below. "

then how can I make parodies about talk shows or something????
Contact the copyright owners of the content you wish to use, and obtain all of the following:

1. Copyright clearance and worldwide rebroadcast rights.

2. As you are planning to use broadcast news clips and talk show segments, you'll need to clear publicity rights. This means you will need to have the stars, guests and anchors for each segment sign a Model Release.

3. If you already have a monetized channel, or are planning to have monetization applied to these videos you are planning, you must also get commercial use rights, or the right to make money from your video productions.

This usually costs money to do.

Last edited:

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Here is YouTube's own article on the subject of Fair Use. Unfortunately, with YouTube having recently adopted the AdSense Content Quality Guidelines for YouTube content, Fair Use may have been relegated back to the only place it can truly be decided.

The hands of a judge in a court of law.

https://support.google.com/legal/answer/4558992?hl=en