Outer Space videos

DDC

Reaction score
Good morning community! Can someone clarify if outer space videos are allowed for monetization? For example, rocket launches, ISS earth cam, moon shots.

Thanks!

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
hmm.. why is this a question? oh i see. Well it would be hard to get the IP.. presume you did go up their with your own camera? Maybe if you report on it in a factual and educational way where you are commenting on and 'about the actual' footage you have sourced then that would qualify for 'fair use', or 'fair dealing' that I've been swatting up on this week.

DDC

Reaction score
hmm.. why is this a question? oh i see. Well it would be hard to get the IP.. presume you did go up their with your own camera? Maybe if you report on it in a factual and educational way where you are commenting on and 'about the actual' footage you have sourced then that would qualify for 'fair use', or 'fair dealing' that I've been swatting up on this week.
It's a question because I asked it. No need to be salty or condescending.[DOUBLEPOST=1540135752,1540135728][/DOUBLEPOST]
360 no scope
heh! Indeed.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I wasn't DDC.. I was just trying to understand what there may be an obstacle to this kind of video content. It wasn;t obvious to me. Had me stumbled for a moment. Good luck anyway. What exactly are you planning? Is your usual content gaming?.. just a guess from thumbnail[DOUBLEPOST=1540138175,1540137993][/DOUBLEPOST]..also I'm impressed with your spelling. I'd have just stuck with salty lol

DDC

Reaction score
I wasn't DDC.. I was just trying to understand what there may be an obstacle to this kind of video content. It wasn;t obvious to me. Had me stumbled for a moment. Good luck anyway. What exactly are you planning? Is your usual content gaming?.. just a guess from thumbnail[DOUBLEPOST=1540138175,1540137993][/DOUBLEPOST]..also I'm impressed with your spelling. I'd have just stuck with salty lol
If you go to youtube and type "space live" you can see there are a lot of channels streaming space content. I wanted to do something related to Mars, educational. I get the "just because someone else is doing it doesn't make it legal" but wanted to clarify who owns outer space. lol

Not planning any missions but definitely want to use space footage if its fair use. Heck, even NASA liked one of the user channels on facebook.

Reactions: UhoohExtra

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@DDC

Many space agencies outside the United States (examples: ESA, JAXA), and even within the United States (examples: SpaceX, Blue Origin, Virgin Galactic), have active copyrights on their media. Uploading footage produced by these would be likely to get you a Duplication charge; and might even cause your channel to be terminated if caught doing it.

NASA footage, on the other hand, being Public Domain, and NASA having many YouTube channels of its own, would almost certainly land you with a Duplication charge; as most NASA footage is already present on YouTube. If you show actual footage and voices of astronauts as they go about their daily work, you would also need to obtain Publicity Rights for such footage in order to even legally post same on YouTube. Many past Non-NASA channels of this nature were monetized; but now stand in danger of de-monetization, once YouTube starts its review of existing Partner channels in earnest.

I suggest you go up to NASA dot gov and search "Using NASA Media".

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Can someone clarify if outer space videos are allowed for monetization?
Is there a release form for aliens!?

They might take over earth just to claim their profits from youtube ads!

:D :p

There is an annual Nasa Cinespace contest that is allowed to use almost any public footage Nasa provides in total. This is the best "fair use" that i can think of public domain space videos...

:)

Apples008

Reaction score
Nearly all NASA footage is public domain, that is why you see people streaming it on youtube.
However I think you will get hit for duplication, worth a try, add some different music.