Novice Editing Advice

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Hope all is well. I have a music podcast that I recently started putting the videos on You Tube. I'm looking to create more content outside of the actual podcast episodes on the channel and would like to guidance for someone with minimal editing skills.

I'm looking at the ever so popular "top ten lists" video types and notice that you'll have either a voice over style video or a video with the person on it and then transitioning to a graphic about the next item on the list. My question is what is the best way to learn how to do this and what software is recommend? Currently I have Open Shot and OBS. Wevideo was also recommended to me.

Also there is that question of can you play other peoples music and from my research you can if it's up to 30 seconds and not used for promotion. My follow up question to that is how do you get that file of music?

Again, I know this is very novice level but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you !

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi, welcome to the forum & congrats on 1st post, btw you can put channel link under name(age) as seen under mine to the LEFT of this msg - read my signature on HOW TO below this msg
can you play other peoples music
personally I try to avoid anyone's music, even if it's playing in the background, currently using "attribution free" music from YouTube library

mattherdman92

Reaction score
Good question!

In regards to how do you do that specific transition, I would say stick with what you're most familiar with. Something like a fade transition should be available in any basic editing software, regardless of how vast it's features are. Regarding the music, you definitely want to stay away from using other peoples music. You don't want to have a chance of your video being copyright claimed as well as you want to make sure that YOURE getting the profit once you're able to monetize your channel, if you choose to do so.

I would suggest one of the many royalty free music options or if you would like, you can always transition to something like Artist.io or Epidemic Sound. They offer a wide variety of music options that you pay for monthly and they are worth it!

I hope this helped in some way.

Reactions: frankdemariany
Reaction score
Good question!

In regards to how do you do that specific transition, I would say stick with what you're most familiar with. Something like a fade transition should be available in any basic editing software, regardless of how vast it's features are. Regarding the music, you definitely want to stay away from using other peoples music. You don't want to have a chance of your video being copyright claimed as well as you want to make sure that YOURE getting the profit once you're able to monetize your channel, if you choose to do so.

I would suggest one of the many royalty free music options or if you would like, you can always transition to something like Artist.io or Epidemic Sound. They offer a wide variety of music options that you pay for monthly and they are worth it!

I hope this helped in some way.
Thank you it helped for sure. So I've seen some videos say doing a top ten list of like beatles songs and they are using like under 30 seconds of the audio. Is that possible?

mattherdman92

Reaction score
Thank you it helped for sure. So I've seen some videos say doing a top ten list of like beatles songs and they are using like under 30 seconds of the audio. Is that possible?
Especially something as popular as the Beatles. I'd stay away from them. The more popular something is the more likely it's going to have a chance to be picked up by the software they're using.