Newbie question (Thumbnails)

GoHan.

Dat YTtalk
I think this is the correct section to post this, but If I'm wrong just move it :)

Newbie question alert!

How do you get custom thumbnails WITHOUT getting partnered. I still don't get it tbh, people say you need an existing account which must be over 30 days old to enable custom thumbnails, but HOW?
I'm scared to press "enable monetizing" and I don't know if that's ok, since I don't even want to think about a copyright strike, but I guess you will get that if you enabled adsense.

Could someone give me a well explained answer ? :p

Don't blame me on being a newb :3

There is no set way to get them enabled. Most people say you have to have monetization enabled, and you will get them, but that is not true 100% of the time. You won't get a strike for enabling monetization. You will only get one if you monetize videos that are copyrighted. You can have monetization enabled and not monetize any videos. All enabling monetization does is create an Adsense account and link it to your channel.

Enable Adsense and then wait 30 days (then you`ll be added to a list and you`ll have to wait 5-10 more days)
or
Do nothing and have a very low chance that they`ll just be enabled

Enable Adsense and then wait 30 days (then you`ll be added to a list and you`ll have to wait 5-10 more days)
or
Do nothing and have a very low chance that they`ll just be enabled
Risk of copyright strikes at your first point?

Edit: if you got "gameplay" footage

Risk of copyright strikes at your first point?

Edit: if you got "gameplay" footage
The only risk is if you choose to monetize those videos. All Shane is saying is connect an Adsense account to your channel. You will not get a strike unless you put ads on the gaming videos.

I think this is the correct section to post this, but If I'm wrong just move it :)

Newbie question alert!

How do you get custom thumbnails WITHOUT getting partnered. I still don't get it tbh, people say you need an existing account which must be over 30 days old to enable custom thumbnails, but HOW?
I'm scared to press "enable monetizing" and I don't know if that's ok, since I don't even want to think about a copyright strike, but I guess you will get that if you enabled adsense.

Could someone give me a well explained answer ? :p

Don't blame me on being a newb :3

You need to at least be a half partner (you don't have to monetise your vids, so there's no risk of breaking any laws), but you do need to generally set up an AdSense and whatnot. That's what I did, at least. Takes 30 days from set up of your channel (so you should get them quickly enough), but sometimes there is a delay.

So lets get this straight ( sorry for being annoying )

Enable monetizing --> wating for enabling --> Disable monetization on your videos and ads --> Safe
Is it kinda like this ? If you see a dollar sign green just disable it right? :O

Yes, if you don't want to enable monetization on your videos, disable all videos that have the green dollar sign, as that means that monetization is enabled on those videos. The dollar sign should become a white-gray colour.

I'd like to add that you don't even need to associate an AdSense, just enable monetization(but don't monetize anything) like I have ^_^

Back