My video's on a lot of websites

Actually if an embedding site is using the official YouTube player, there will be a "watch on YouTube" button available for actually watching the video on YouTube's site, though there is no obligation to do so.
 
Embedded videos can be a problem because YouTube's promotion elements are missing on these sites.
I've been wondering for awhile whether allowing embedding hurts a video's chances of being picked up by Youtube's algorithms. If the algorithm is based on retention and session length, then certainly the chances that a person will continue on Youtube after watching your embedded video aren't very good (unless you are on a wall of videos on a web page, in which case that situation might even possibly increase your chances at higher retention and longer viewing sessions).

I will invoke our resident no-promotion promoters @Crown and @YouTuber1978 to ask them how they feel about the effect on retention/session time of allowing embedding as I am curious to hear what they have to say.
 
Last edited:
If you check the traffic info for these websites at alexa.com you will see that they are very small and very unpopular. I don't think they will have any significant effect on your channel.

PS. And yes - watermark your videos. In ours I just write at the bottom:

Chottomattenet YouTube Channel (c) 2015

You can get at least a little bit exposure with such websites but it will be very small.
 
Actually we need the option of embedding but we don't want the possibility to download those videos
It's not that YouTube allows for it but anything on the Internet can be technically copied - at least via screen capture.

If the algorithm is based on retention and session length, then certainly the chances that a person will continue on Youtube after watching your embedded video aren't very good (unless you are on a wall of videos on a web page, in which case that situation might even possibly increase your chances at higher retention and longer viewing sessions).
That's why I said you need strong video elements that make a viewer really visit your channel. Embedding pages (Reddit, Instructables, ...) can give you exposure but you need to catch these viewers.
 
That's why I said you need strong video elements that make a viewer really visit your channel. Embedding pages (Reddit, Instructables, ...) can give you exposure but you need to catch these viewers.
For whatever reason, I never had much confidence in driving traffic anywhere from a video through means that do not involve easily clicking and going there (e.g. watermarks). Is a watermark or hardcoded annotation better than nothing? Sure, but my guess is that the clickthrough stats from such things are pretty low.
 
From all I heard a good interactive end card really works. I at least put it on every one of my videos.
 
Back
Top