Music: Links in description

Hi okay so i was wondering if I was to say use a song in my video (from a music channel) and add links to the song/iTunes would that eliminate any possible copyright strikes?

If it is royalty free and you follow what the creator says then its good. For example my music is from epidemic sounds and I just have to add their link in my description and it's all good :)

If it is royalty free and you follow what the creator says then its good. For example my music is from epidemic sounds and I just have to add their link in my description and it's all good :)
Yes royalty music or contact the artist is the best way to do so, but I'm guessing he's wanting to use claim music own by legit music companies, hence:
add links to the song/iTunes

The only way to use an artist music is to contact company that music is own, artist managers, or even the artist themselves... have fun doing that.

It doesn't need to be royalty free as that does not equate to attribution, royalty free just means you don't pay royalties each time the video using the royalty free content is viewed. What it needs to be is under creative commons, most commonly the safest to use is Creative Commons Attribution 3.0/4.0 (CC By Attr 3.0 or 4.0) as the name suggests; work licensed under this usually requires you to attribute the music/song and artist used, in the video description or the video itself.
Some artists may even have added conditions on the attribution which you need to follow e.g. they may require a link to the original site or even a direct link to the song to be attributed.
But be careful as different CC 3.0/4.0 licenses each have different requirements on their own. So if an artist has their work licensed under certain CCs you'll need to check which 1 applies. Some CC licenses prevent you from modifying the song usually non-derivative (I think), some require you to list modifications you made which is actually standard for CC BY Attribution 3.0/4.0 but honestly this is a grey area as most artists don't mind as long as you don't modify it to a point it's unrecognisable i.e. cutting parts of the song is fine or extending it, some require your content to also be under the CC license in order to use their music usually the CC 3.0 ShareAlike and then some work may be licensed under mixed creative commons licenses so non-derritive sharealike may be used as well, there is also a non-commercial version of the CC By 3.0/4.0. So you need to check with the artists, it's also better to make sure they have a website to reference to in case of false content ID claims.

Well aware that copyright infringement and theft are not the same, but this question is logically equivalent to asking "If I tell people what the candy bar I stole is, does that make it not theft?".

I get that copyright law can be complicated, but come on, use some common sense and maybe google some things.

Back