I was listening to some audiobooks about sales. Self-promotion or marketing is simply trying to find viewers for your videos. It is some form of sales.

The sales guru in the audio program was mentioning people who are hesitant to sell. This was one of the main mind blocks for sales people. They think that sales is a bad thing. We probably learn it at school or from our parents. The motto is "you do good work and wait. People notice and appreciate that". The sad truth is: "No, they won't". How can someone appreciate your good work if they don't know about it.

The sales guru was calling people who don't sell "selfish". They are so selfish that they keep their good products to themselves. They do not let other people enjoy and get value out of it. If you believe that your videos are worth watching and you know that people who watch get some value, there is nothing promoting it on the Social Media.

I believe, everybody who posts on Social Media is promoting something. They promote themselves, their character, their children or happy family, their intellect. Look at your Facebook News Feed and try to find the motivation behind each post. Why does someone post pictures from his fancy trip? Why does someone post jokes or viral videos? Why do they share their feelings?

To sum up, there is nothing immoral about promoting yourself as long as you are not lying or deceiving the people. You will anyway see this in the audience retention, if your title and thumbnail do not correspond to your content. I would strongly recommend you to promote yourself as much as you can. People who are not interested can simply skip your posts. They do that anyways. Additionally, haters gonna hate. And there will be some people who need and like your content. These people are the gain of the day.

Well said! Selling yourself is really a great way to be introduced to the public. Even Madonna did things to sell herself and become one of the biggest stars. If you don't want to sell yourself then maybe you really doesn't want to be a star material and just wants to stick with a certain group. But sometimes more people will leave and when that time comes who will watch your contents? You should deal with rejections. Sometimes those people who will hate with your spamming creates more traffic than those who regularly visits you.. Because most of their fans will go and fight for their idol. You gained dislike but you gained money too.. :)

true words of wisdom. I'm considering printing this out and reading it every day I wake up and before I sleep.
It's always difficult to get past the "selling is bad" mindset. Thank you so much for this!

I'm happy to hear that. It is a big mental barrier to break..

Well said! Selling yourself is really a great way to be introduced to the public. Even Madonna did things to sell herself and become one of the biggest stars. If you don't want to sell yourself then maybe you really doesn't want to be a star material and just wants to stick with a certain group. But sometimes more people will leave and when that time comes who will watch your contents? You should deal with rejections. Sometimes those people who will hate with your spamming creates more traffic than those who regularly visits you.. Because most of their fans will go and fight for their idol. You gained dislike but you gained money too.. :)

Very good addition about the rejections. Probably the "fear of rejection" is the main reason people are hesitant to try to sell something.

I think if you have a feel-good or useful message, or a product that improves people's lives (physically or emotionally) you should promote it and yourself. If you can bring a little joy and a smile into someone's life, why not give them the chance to see your video or try your product?
Walking at the Mall the other day, a local bakery was giving out tiny muffins as samples. We tried them, loved them, and bought a packet. Next time we'll buy some more.
A few weeks ago we got a flyer from a pizza shop for half-priced pizzas for new customers. We tried them. Now we're a repeat customer.
Absolutely nothing wrong with promoting your brand, product, service, message, in any (legal) way you can think of.

Back