Microphone Problem?

TheGameGateway

I've Got It
Hey ladies and gents, not a huge issue here, just one clear and concise problem I may or may not have here. I've been told once or twice by a few various different people that my audio is average or alright except for one feature. Apparently when I make an "S" noise my microphone emits a weird hissing noise or elongates it or makes the noise a bit sharper which apparently is not nice on the ears.

Just wanting to confirm that this is a problem and asking whether or not you think I should invest in a new microphone or a mic cover.

Anything else related to audio you may pick up you can also mention, feel free, any guidance or help is always appreciated and welcomed.

Sounds veery bright, almost boosted on the high frequencies. Can you tell me a bit more about your setup, what mic are you using, any EQ or compression, how close is the mic to your mouth while recording? Potential quick fixes are varying the distance from the mic, possibly backing away from it, as well as the angle, you don't necessarily have to speak directly into it.

To my ears it sounds like you're pretty close to the mic, so that's where I'd first look, but do toss me the info on your setup, I'll try to be more specific ;)

Mic is not the greatest but it's acceptable. EQ is your friend, you can use audacity for free to make your voice sound a lot better. Tons of youtube vids online on what to do.

A pop filter may help but I suppose it depends on what microphone you are using. Are you using a dedicated microphone or are you using a headset?

Sounds veery bright, almost boosted on the high frequencies. Can you tell me a bit more about your setup, what mic are you using, any EQ or compression, how close is the mic to your mouth while recording? Potential quick fixes are varying the distance from the mic, possibly backing away from it, as well as the angle, you don't necessarily have to speak directly into it.

To my ears it sounds like you're pretty close to the mic, so that's where I'd first look, but do toss me the info on your setup, I'll try to be more specific ;)

I'm currently using a headset and the EQ isn't altered, because it's headset the mic is pretty close to my mic when recording, but I found the hissing type noise happens even when I take the mic further away from my face and I don't speak directly into it either so. I'm not sure if it happened when I first got it, but the headset is getting on now and probably 2 years old.[DOUBLEPOST=1491587116,1491587092][/DOUBLEPOST]
A pop filter may help but I suppose it depends on what microphone you are using. Are you using a dedicated microphone or are you using a headset?
A headset.

I'm currently using a headset and the EQ isn't altered, because it's headset the mic is pretty close to my mic when recording, but I found the hissing type noise happens even when I take the mic further away from my face and I don't speak directly into it either so. I'm not sure if it happened when I first got it, but the headset is getting on now and probably 2 years old.
I see. What headset specifically? Since you're using a headset that takes a lot of things out of the equation such as room acoustics and mic placement, so it's very likely down to the headset itself. Check your levels first to see if you aren't clipping, and if the headset has a gain or mic volume setting try fiddling with it to see if you might be overloading the mic or your audio interface. If all checks out, best you can do is try to eq the harshness out, either in realtime if you have an audio interface that supports it or in post, while you're editing. Using a de-esser could also work, but it's not as likely. That's imo all you can really do, 'cause it seems that the headset is to blame. Do give me the model of the set so I can see if that's really the case, and let me know if any of the tips I gave you help out!

Back