Mechanical Keyboard

Shadeypwns

Laugh at your problems, everybody else does.
I had a question for anyone with experience using a mechanical keyboard and recording videos, or livestreaming. I love my keyboard, I adore it, I'd make love to it if it had a hole big enough for it. Anyways, it's becoming a pain to record videos with live commentary such as Lets Plays while using it, which is quite distressing.

I was wondering if anyone knew of options I had for reducing sound or removing keyboard clicks completely from my videos? I'm using a Blue Yeti mic, which is fantastic quality, with a Black Widow Ultimate Razer keyboard. I use Sony Vegas 12 to edit, and I have Audacity, Dxtory, and Fraps as options for recording mic audio.

Thank you for any help you guys can provide :)

Put your mic away from the keyboard? I use a headset, and you can't hear clickiness on my vids. That's the only thing I can think (either that or buy a new keyboard with softer keys)

I think TotalBiscuit has a mechanical keyboard and you can hardly hear it..
Just try different mic setup. and set the blue yeti to cardioid maybe?

Press the keyboard keys less harder xD But yu can remove it tho :) Yu can go to your mic settings and put the sound on 10db ;) That way yu can record your voice very clear and no keyboard sound ;) But the prob is that yu HAVE to stay very close to the mic .-. Its just what yu prefer ;)

Thank you guys for the advice, but it doesn't sound like any of you have experience in this matter. I appreciate the attempts though!

If someone does personally have a mechanical keyboard, or a cardioid mic, I'd love to hear about how they set it up, or edit in post production for sound.

Thank you guys for the advice, but it doesn't sound like any of you have experience in this matter. I appreciate the attempts though!

If someone does personally have a mechanical keyboard, or a cardioid mic, I'd love to hear about how they set it up, or edit in post production for sound.
I have this problem all the time, but my mic isn"t cardioid. I've seen thousands of people who set their mic to cardioid have the problem fixed so i'm talking from what I know worked for others

I have this problem all the time, but my mic isn"t cardioid. I've seen thousands of people who set their mic to cardioid have the problem fixed so i'm talking from what I know worked for others
You know thousands of people with mechanical keyboards? I was under the impression that it was actually fairly rare for people to invest over $100 into a keyboard, and personally I only know of about 3 or 4 YouTubers who use one. I'm not sure if you misunderstand what the post was about, or if I'm just way off on who uses these keyboards. I appreciate the help though. I was by no means trying to upset you, and I'm definitely using my mic on Cardioid.

You know thousands of people with mechanical keyboards? I was under the impression that it was actually fairly rare for people to invest over $100 into a keyboard, and personally I only know of about 3 or 4 YouTubers who use one. I'm not sure if you misunderstand what the post was about, or if I'm just way off on who uses these keyboards. I appreciate the help though. I was by no means trying to upset you, and I'm definitely using my mic on Cardioid.
it is a figure of speech, I obviously don't know 1k people with mechanical keyboards but I hang around on 25 ish IRC channels dedicated games and Let's Playing, tons of people always ask that and in general setting their mic to cardioid and lowering the mic sensitivity helps. Shockmounting it as well as placing it in front of your keyboard also helps

it is a figure of speech, I obviously don't know 1k people with mechanical keyboards but I hang around on 25 ish IRC channels dedicated games and Let's Playing, tons of people always ask that and in general setting their mic to cardioid and lowering the mic sensitivity helps. Shockmounting it as well as placing it in front of your keyboard also helps
I might need to look at the positioning of it then. It's currently on a full mic stand and is behind my keyboard, because my keyboard is on a pullout tray, that comes from underneath the desk. I think I'm going to mess around with changing where the keyboard is, and moving the mic farther back, but I'm concerned about how close that is going to place the mic to my mouth. As far as I am aware somewhere between 6" to 12" is recommended for distance correct?

Edit: Even with the mic in front of the keyboard by about half a foot, and the gain knob turned completely down, and windows mic volume set to 60, it still picks up clicks in the background.

I might need to look at the positioning of it then. It's currently on a full mic stand and is behind my keyboard, because my keyboard is on a pullout tray, that comes from underneath the desk. I think I'm going to mess around with changing where the keyboard is, and moving the mic farther back, but I'm concerned about how close that is going to place the mic to my mouth. As far as I am aware somewhere between 6" to 12" is recommended for distance correct?
Really depends, some people have it quite a bit further and it causes no problems, depends on how loud you speak.
But yes if the keyboard is on a pullout tray in front that very well could be the reason :)

Back