Leveraging YouTube Search

Peter_Brown

As of 2016 YouTube is the third largest search engine on the web. Which means that if you play your cards right you can make it work for you.

Are your videos getting rated in searches? Under analytics > trafficsources what is your percentage for YouTube search? Can it be higher?

Title, Description and Tags are all complimentary of each other. Which means that

Title: Should be in some way a summary of your description

Description: Should then expand on your title.

Tags: Search terms for video, especially ones that are already in both title and description. Fun Fact: YouTube will only recognize up to 10 tags, so be selective!

(Here's a example)
Title: How To Use Lipstick to Compliment Your Natural Features

Description: I'll explain that lipstick should be used as an accent to your facial features and compliment your skin tone. You will learn in this video some tips I've picked on from top beauticians in the Tri-City area.

Tags: Lipstick, Complimentary Makeup, Top Beauticians, etc (* I'm a bit outside my comfort zone with my example subject matter, but hopefully you get the point)

The algorithm also favors trending videos. So if you have the ability to make videos relevant to current trending videos, that will help your search rating (Recall all the Fine Bro's video that bubbled up a few months back!)

Any tips on YouTube Search you have that you would like to share!? I'd love to hear them!

This is interesting but I need to ask you something: are you really sure that youtube recognize only up to 10 tags? I never read that thing anywhere so that's why I'm asking because i'm really curious!

This is interesting but I need to ask you something: are you really sure that youtube recognize only up to 10 tags? I never read that thing anywhere so that's why I'm asking because i'm really curious!

I was blown away by that. It came first hand from a YouTube employee that I got a consultation with. He said it was a bit of insider information

You know that this info might be mindblowing? This would mean focusing all the efforts on the first ten for creating the best results. Good job with sharing this info with everyone!

I was blown away by that. It came first hand from a YouTube employee that I got a consultation with. He said it was a bit of insider information
I feel like I better check my tags on all my videos now, but maybe not. It does get tiring trying to do everything "correctly" on YouTube, but I'll definitely put my best tags in front going forward. Right now my first tags are my general channel tags that are automatic on upload. Thanks for the inside info!

Not sure if its true (maybe it is, but you know how it is on the internet without solid proof). When I check my tags via TubeBuddy, it shows ranking and often on different positions and not only 10 tags are ranked high and simply used by Youtube.

Not sure if its true (maybe it is, but you know how it is on the internet without solid proof). When I check my tags via TubeBuddy, it shows ranking and often on different positions and not only 10 tags are ranked high and simply used by Youtube.

I'm not saying he couldn't have been wrong, but I have to say my search percentage has increased since reducing unneeded tags.

I'm not saying he couldn't have been wrong, but I have to say my search percentage has increased since reducing unneeded tags.
So some kind of filter for videos with a lot of tags which could turn as spam/clickbait videos? When you interpret it like this it would make sense in some way.

Back